cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 67

Re: Anyone else unable to connect to mail.btinternet.com this evening?

Its no good e-mailing people, if their e-mail is down. Not everyone uses webmail Smiley Wink

Many people are going to have a quiet day, with their e-mail clients, until they discover what is wrong.

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 67

I am still getting intermittent problems with POP3 despite switching to using an SSL connection so I suspect that all is not entirely well with whoever is currently providing the POP server. But, at least, it works most of the time.

Michael
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 67

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Its no good e-mailing people, if their e-mail is down. Not everyone uses webmail Smiley Wink

Many people are going to have a quiet day, with their e-mail clients, until they discover what is wrong.

But they could have emailed them in advance, say a couple of days ago, to say that when they stopped working to change the ports and a description how to do it.

As an aside I have had to keep using port 25 for outgoing. Changing it did not work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 67

@gg30340 wrote:

As an aside I have had to keep using port 25 for outgoing. Changing it did not work.

Perhaps you have not been migrated yet? It seems to be only affecting some people.

I use POP3 on one of my accounts, and that changed this morning when I started getting errors.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 67

Could be, I'll keep an eye on it. At least I'll know to change the port if the problem starts. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 67

Old OE POP3 settings still working for me.

Nothing at all about new settings on the main BT site Help pages. Nothing at all about them on

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/kw/email%20changing/c/346,402,6624

No information at all, as far as I can see. It is so easy to add a question to those FAQs, right at the top, highlighted a bit like this (**New Settings for the new email!**), isn't it?

There's even an FAQ that reads "Will my email addresses, usernames and passwords all stay the same?" Now even the tea lady could add ".... and settings" to that, and add a paragraph below

Email addresses

When moving to the new BT Mail, your addresses will stay the same, including all your sub-accounts. Existing @btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com and @talk21.com email addresses will stay the same.

Passwords

We always recommend that you change your password regularly. As part of the change, we may in some cases ask you to update your email password to a new one to help ensure that you keep your account safe and secure.

Disposable email addresses

Sorry, disposable addresses or aliases won't be moving across to BT Mail. We'll be in touch nearer the time with help.

Here 's a start BT:

Email settings:

If you find that your email has stopped working, it might mean that you've been migrated already, so try the following changes..... blah blah...etc etc.

If you have trouble with the configuration, we've set up a dedicated new page to help you ,.//..... or you could ask for help on our friendly forums at .........

..... dream on .... only hypothesising, but you can't make it up! Major UK ISP breaks with big-hitting Yahoo but forgets it still needs someone to hold its hand and tell it how to effect a smooth transition to its new system!

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 67

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Perhaps you have not been migrated yet? It seems to be only affecting some people.

I use POP3 on one of my accounts, and that changed this morning when I started getting errors.

What a mess they are Smiley Mad

@AT the moment all my @btinternet POP3 addresses are working fine on Port 110. However I might not see missed attempts as I am set to check every 5 mins or so and if a couple fail I wouldn't know.

@However I got an email this morning from Yahoo for my one @Yahoo.co.uk account advising that I need to change to SSL in the next two weeks if accessing via POP3 or IMAP, which I have done successfully.  I don't use the btinternet and yahoo SMTP servers though I have configured the Yahoo SMPT server and tested successfully so it is available.  BT don't know what they are doing.  I keep getting emails to link my new Premium mail account to my BT ID.  As I already had a BT ID I added the new account to that.  I still get emails from BT saying I haven't linked.  Did some support via on-line chat which led to some exchange of emails and in the end support said it was SPAM.  It wasn't and I sent them full headers. They agreed it wasn't and then suggested I could stop them by reporting to abuse@bt.com !!  Go figure!!  I've tried emailing Warren Buckley, Managing Director, Customer Service but no response.

I've had 3 identical emails sent to one of my secondary addresses saying "We wrote to you recently about some changes to your email service that were due to happen on 16 September 2013. We won't now be making those changes on 16 September. Due to the high volume of demand we've had, we've decided to extend the time our customers have to choose their options. We're also taking the opportunity to make this process quicker and easier and we're sorry if you've had trouble getting through to us. "

This email did not come through to my primary address. 

No-one there seems to have control or expertise over this whole issue and no-one considered the impact on their workload trying to roll out email changes at the same time as BT Sport, and don't get me going on that one - two differently priced offers on the same day from BT for BT Broadband + BT Sport.  Don't think I'll trust my whole internet experience to them thanks.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 38 of 67

mail.btinternet.com still works fine for me on smtp port 25 and pop3 port 110. It's advisable to use ssl where available though, on 465 and 995.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 67

We are still awaiting guidance from BT on which setting should be used. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/kw/pop%20settings/c/346,412,6475/session/L3RpbWU... still suggests 110/25 - and it seems that some can still use them - but 995/465 was the only way I could get my email to work earlier this week.

Michael
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 40 of 67

Still working on new settings. As of today after logging into my BT and hitting  email -top right I am now taken to new BTMail log in which works after inputting password  I am taken to BT yahoo [newer version of yahoo sign] email site.

0 Ratings