Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IkarusC42
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Apple devices stop recognising my BT email address

Go to solution

I am running High Sierra on my Mac. All my devices are fully up to date regarding software.

Two days ago all my devices (iMac, Ipad & iPhone) have all stopped recognising my BT email accounts.

I spent nearly three hours yesterday talking with apple on the issue with no solution. All my devices accept my Gmail account so I wonder if it is to do with BT.

I have removed the BT account from my devices & attempted to reinstall to no avail. All I get when the device goes to verification is the spinning wheel of death. I get this whether I use the set up wizard or try to do it manually. I have even entered incorrect email or password details in the hope it will force something but only the spinning wheel

I have trawled the various BT & user suggestions & changed my password three times and still no result. I have checked the settings and they correspond with those identified in the BT help pages.

I have even removed any old passwords from apple keychain access in case apple mail was reverting back to an old password. Still nothing.

I can access my Bt mail through the website using my password etc. I'm tearing my hair out trying to understand what the issue is.

Any help will be more than gratefully received

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Apple devices stop recognising my BT email address

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, as you have now found out.

Because all your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 15/30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device s working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
IkarusC42
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Brilliant gg30340

I switched all devices off for an hour then turned on the iMac & set up a new password via the website, then went into my mail and added the BT account. It accepted and downloaded some 15 emails,

Now to look at the iPad & iPhone. Thank you so much for such a simple explanation.

But isn't it frustrating after so long you would have thought software and systems would now be robust enough to not have these sort of frustrations?

Anyway, Thanks once again. Ill leave this open for a little while longer just in case I have issues with the iPad etc.

0 Ratings
IkarusC42
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi again gg

All devices now up & running. Well done and again thanks for a comprehensive answer. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Glad to hear you are up and running again. If this happens again and assuming you have done nothing such as an update to cause a problem and you can still access your email via webmail just leave things alone and it will usually sort its self out fairy quickly but if not it will usually be within a day or two meanwhile just use webmail.

0 Ratings