cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Apple email

We have over the last few days been unable to send emails from our Apple devices. Getting messages back saying does not recognise sender details etc.

this has happened within the last few days. Up till then been working ok. Apple devices all up to date. 
tried all things I can find on line from reinstall and set up email accounts again but to no avail. 
pits doing the same on my wife’s devices. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Apple email

Hi @Eggyevans 

I can't see any reason BT side for what you are experiencing, I can see the authentication attempts failing when sending email because the password is incorrect.

It is strange for this to all of a sudden be a problem despite you not changing your password or changing anything on the email client itself.

There have been previous suspicions that Apple/iOS hold on to some old settings/passwords when accounts are removed and re-added.

Can you please try the following:

• Go to the account in question -> (1st Image below) ->
  • Will be presented by an SMTP Server List (4th Image below) -> Ensure only the PRIMARY server has mail.btinternet.com and rest are turned off or removed ->
  • Update the password on the Primary SMTP Server (2nd Image below) -> Try again

• iPad-AccountSettings.pngiPad-SMTPPassword.pngiPad-SMTPServerList.png
0 Ratings
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I have tried that but I have one in the other SMTP on my iPad that I cannot delete as it says  I have turned all off bar the main one on the iPhone and it seems to work  however when on iPad  

When I change the details I get the following message  my iPhone works but the iPad doesn’t  

Eggyevans_6-1599670163397.jpeg

0 Ratings
DarrenW
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 13

Ok great some progress!

On the iPad something else must still be wrong then. Perhaps the password for the SMTP server is wrong for the one you have left there.

0 Ratings
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

The password used is exactly the same as the one used on the iPhone. My wife’s iPad is having same issue and her pass word on phone and iPad are the same. I also know password is correct as can log in online no problem. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

When you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

0 Ratings
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I have already redone the passwords for both the incoming and incoming. 
incoming works. Outgoing comes up with the message about does not recognise the sending email and details despite being identical to what is on my iPhone. 
my wife’s iPad is doing the same and her password and account is different To mine. 

0 Ratings
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

We are still having issues with this. Our phones have been working fine for past couple of days. Then all of a sudden we start getting message up saying “senders name invalid”

there’s got to be an issue somewhere as we can send emails from other email accounts that are not BT. 

0 Ratings
Dode
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

You could try deleting all accounts from your devices, restart all devices and run with web mail for a few days, maybe a week. To make that a little more bearable you could create a link to the webmail page on your home page. Then re-add one account and run it for a week or at least longer than it took to start acting up. If ok continue doing that. Might be worth a try!

0 Ratings
Eggyevans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

If it was only one device I could see that possibly working. But it’s my iPhone and iPad and it’s doing the same on my wife’s iPhone and iPad and she has totally separate BT accounts to me. 

0 Ratings