Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Powner
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Archiving emails

Hi

I am a BT Yahoo user on web mail - through Chrome using Windows 10.

I want to archive a large and old library of emails. I understand that the archive (which cannot use a folder structure) will write the files to my hard drive. I have done a test but cannot find where the archive is located. My concern is that if/when my hard drive corrupts - I will lose all my archived emails. I want to back up the data to an external drive - but need to know where the archive is located.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Archiving emails

I have no idea about archiving webmail, but if you set up a mail client to download all the mails (configure it to leave a copy on the server if using POP3) you can use folders and will know where the files are stored on your hard drive so they can be backed up. There are many free email clients to choose from. Claws, EMClient, Thunderbird etc.

0 Ratings
Powner
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you. I was aware of Outlook as a “solution” but am trying to avoid another layer of complexity. I have used Outlook in an office environment and would find it too much effort on a personal level. I will check out Thunderbird as I have seen it mentioned in other posts.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

MS Outlook is a far superior method of dealing with mail, much simpler than webmail, more secure, no adverts etc etc. Not sure why you think it adds a layer of complexity.

Of all the free email clients I find Thunderbird the least intuitive to use.

If you have a licensed copy of MS Outlook on your machine, I would thoroughly recommend you use that in preference to any of the free clients.

Powner
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Appreciate your input and advice. I will reconsider my aversion to Outlook!
0 Ratings