cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmurphy
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

At a complete loss & on the very edge now - Password synch and Iphone / Ipad access - total failure!

All, I have read all the posts about email synch issues - and none of it has helped me.  I thought I was being clever by changing my password and lengthening to 12 char and a Special char ( an exclamation mark ) .  When I did this - apparently so BT India have said - Apple don't like special char (!) and no matter what I did I could not re-enable my email on phone or ipad.  I am now on call no. 10 from India and expecting one today - They (BT) reset my password - and I can get into the v.poor webmail version - but not the mail app on iPhone and ipad.  I deleted the account on both and now I cant add back as the password is not recognised.  They have allegedly escalated to a level 2 (whatever that means) but no one can tell me what they are doing, what they have done or by when it will be fixed - this is now 6 days. The last conversation was unbelievable when the guy in India started to create an analogy with the Indian cricket team and tried to tell me that it was impossible for them to know what is being done and by when.  Has anyone got any contact at BT in the UK where I can escalate - as I am getting nowhere.  This is clearly a known issue due to the amount of posts - BT India admitted it is a frequent issue - I cannot believe it takes 6 days to get absolutely nowhere - anything productive would be very helpful as I am at my wits end.  This happened the day after I renewed my contract for 18 months !!! Really not happy at all.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: At a complete loss & on the very edge now - Password synch and Iphone / Ipad access - total

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings. If you do delete the email account make sure that you re-start the device before setting up the email account again.

Change your webmail email password yet again. DO NOT use any special characters.

Check that you can access the email account on webmail.

If you can access the email account, wait at least 30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device is working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
nmurphy
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: At a complete loss & on the very edge now - Password synch and Iphone / Ipad access - total

This did not work - sorry.

However what I have proved now 100% is that the issue is only with my account.  On the same iPhone / and ipad - I deleted and added back my sons Btinternet email account with no issues - 1st time.  Therefore after much trial and error - I can categorically say that the issue relates to my email address and password change.  Something is not correct with the associated password with my account.  I can get into Web mail no issues - but prefer the iPhone / ipad client.  To add the account should take 2 seconds and did my sons.  For some reason since changing password - it is not synched correctly and I cannot now add to the client where it has worked correctly for many years. I am struggling to finds anyone at BT that can review my account set up to identify the issue.  HELP

0 Ratings
nmurphy
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Cannot add Email account to Iphone / ipad client after password change - Synch issue?

I changed my password a week ago without realising Apple does not like special characters  - an exclamation mark.  I could not add the account with a !   I then changed the password back to a password without any special characters. I still cannot add the account to the iPhone / iPad client. I have now categorically proved that the issue is with my Bt account and associated password as I deleted and re-added my sons Btinternet imap account in 2 seconds - no issues -but with no password change.  I believe that there is a synch issue with my password however I cannot get anyone at BT to recognise this or do anything about it.  I simplified my password again last night and restated both units - logged on to web mail to ensure it was working and still cannot add the account to my iPhone / iPad account.  Bt are saying its an apple issue - apple say its a BT issue.  I have categorically proved it is my specific account and password.  How do I get someone at BT to review my account and make sure its all linked properly?  I have had 17 calls since Wednesday with BT India and no one seems to know what to do

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I have merged your second thread into the first one you posted because posting multiple threads about the same problem only leads to confusion and duplication of effort.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @nmurphy 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the password issues you're having with your email.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings