cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Automatically downloading incoming emails

Since the recent upgrade to btyahoo mail, I am no longer automatically receiving new incoming emails.  I access them using Thunderbird on my Windows 10 laptop, and the only way I can get new emails is by exiting Thunderbird and logging on again.  I access my gmail account in a similar manner and that is working fine.  Also I can access my bt mail via my Apple devices.  As far as I can see, my Thunderbird settings are unaltered and are the same for both my btyahoo mail account and my gmail account - hence my suspicion that the problem lies with bt, especially as it has only arisen in the past few days

Any assistance much appreciated!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Automatically downloading incoming emails

If you are using Thunderbird I would be extremely surprised if the problem is with BT, it seems more likely to be a T'bird problem.

What server settings are you using and have you ticked the necessary boxes for periodicity of checking for mails? There have been a couple of updates to T'bird lately that might have changed some settings (unlikely but possible).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Tks for yr prompt response. If it was a Thunderbird problem I would have expected my non bt email accounts also to be affected, but they are not. I should have said I am using IMAP with SSL/TLS security and normal password for authentication
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

And check for new messages every 10 minutes (all same as my other, non bt, accounts)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Not necessarily, the account settings are individual to each account. Are you using the mail.btinternet.com as the server or Yahoo servers? If the latter,you need to change to the former.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

server name: mail.btinternet.com Actually your message came through automatically so maybe problem resolved? I will check in a couple of hours time
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Just to confirm the problem persists.  I believe the previous message got through because I removed the security, which I am reluctant to do as a long term solution

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

If it works when your "security" is turned off that must be where the problem lies.

Which security product are you using?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

It is not a product as such. There is a server setting on Thunderbird that is currently set as Connection security: SSL/TLS.  I temporarily changed this to None when your earlier message came through. (When making such a change, the port automatically changes from 993 to 143)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

The correct setting should be SSL/TLS and port 993.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

Out of interest which antivirus do you have and have you tried temporarily turning its email scanning off to see if that could be causing the problem.

0 Ratings