cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Awful brand-new email app on Android - "We've updated you to our new, improved BT email service"

Go to solution

Why have we changed your email?

Because we want to give you a better, more reliable experience. We're sure you're going to enjoy it.

But it is worse, and I am not enjoying it. It doesn't work consistently on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3). That freezes, or won't download even small attachments (but does later). Currently it just gives a white screen despite me forcing a stop, and restarting. The play store says it may not be optimised for my device! There's an understatement. 

The app is supposed to be new, and in the play store it says it was released on 18 May 2020. But it was last updated on 26 March 2020-2 months before it was released! It works on my phone, but it is primitive. It is not fit for purpose. What have they been doing since BT mail began to replace BT Yahoo many years ago? 

• Everything you do is at least two taps away through a menu system rather than single taps to Action. Even simple things like deleting an email. 
  • There is no option to archive an email. 
  • While in reading an email, you cannot swipe left or right to go to the next or previous message.
  • Reply all includes me!
  • When sending I cannot choose from which account (to be added in the next update). As I got BT because I can use it with my own domain name emails, that is a major fail. 
  • When reading I cannot zoom in to read the message if the text is small. 
  • In 2 days, it dumped 31 regular emails into spam! None of them were spam. Typically I might have had 1 a month in yahoo. 
  • When I selected them and marked them not spam, they've all come into my inbox as 'read' even though I haven't read them. 
  • It is often slow. For example, 8 seconds to merely open a text email! 16 seconds to open the app and even see the list of emails. On a Samsung galaxy note 9 and 702 Mbps Wi-Fi on a 60/20 fttc connection! 
  • From the list of messages screen , swiping left gives options to mark read /unread or delete. Swiping right gives options to reply /all or forward. This is contrary to most email apps where swiping causes an action, which is user settable. 
  • In an email received, the moment I scroll, the action menu is gone. In other email apps, the quick actions remain available. Not BT - you have to scroll the whole way back up to the very top of the email. 
  • The content of the email has a big heading "message details"; why does it even need to say what it blindingly obviously is? No other app does. 
  • I have one email in my inbox which, if I try to open, merely pops up a message "failed to retrieve message content". That email is a duplicate from before the swap to this new app. It only exists once except in the new app. The other version opens fine. 

Two days and I'm this fed up with it already.

Why does this forum insist on saying there is invalid HTML in my message when it is all merely typed text? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Awful brand-new email app on Android - "We've updated you to our new, improved BT email ser

Go to solution

Delete the BTMail app, you are not required to use it, and install a decent mail app. 

I use the paid version of Aquamail app which I find very good and others recommend the Bluemail app.

The settings you will need if the app does not automatically insert them are as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: Awful brand-new email app on Android - "We've updated you to our new, improved BT email ser

Go to solution

Thank you but that is a work around not a solution, and ignores the underlying problem. I have been happy using BT Yahoo for 11 years. Now we have this pile of junk foisted upon us claiming to be new and improved. I've paid BT rather than move to a cheaper provider in large part because of their email. 

Luckily I use Outlook on my computers so I don't have the webmail problem that is the subject of many threads, the most recent 715 posts and growing. Monstrous-new-BT-email-upgrade

Yes I could use Outlook on my mobile devices but I find it easier to keep notifications separate by using the app appropriate to the email service , thus keeping different types of email apart. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It was not suggested as a work around. It was suggested as a solution to not having to use the BTMail App and would work in the same way as your Outlook works on your computer. It is of course your choice if you want to use the BTMail app.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

In what possible way is using a different app a workaround?  Until recently there was no BT app, so customers had to use a different app anyway.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I'm sorry, but I have had a perfectly good working app for 11 years, provided by BT through a partnership with Yahoo, included for part of my monthly fee.

Having been provided with a replacement app by BT, I expect it to give at least as much functionality as that which they are taking away.

I feel that having to use a different app, not supported by the people to whom I am paying a monthly fee for providing this, is a work around.  It does not solve the problems of the underlying app.

I was unaware that prior to this there had been no app for mobiles. What a poor service, and I feel sorry for those that were abandoned like that.  I guess if I'd been switched to the "new and improved" BT Mail back then, I'd have already left BT for a cheaper option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

The Yahoo app just happened to accept the BTYahoo email it was not in partnership with BT and Yahoo just in the same way the gmail app will accept other email providers email service.

You say you use Outlook on your computer. Does BT support that? 

I think you will find the answer is no but you can still use it to access your BT email account.

As I said, your choice.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I've basically left BT mail. I am now diverting my personal domain emails to my outlook account instead and using that. It flags far fewer as spam and learns when I mark them as not spam.

I originally set the personal domain up way back in the days of Freeserve, when it became a problem because internet providers were coming and going all the time, and moving meant losing access to any web site I'd created accounts in. This is the first problem since then.

One thing I can report is that the team that have been tasked with the BT mail app are acting on feedback, and are responsive. Their investigation into why spam was being flagged led to the realisation that my provider forwards emails in a way that pretends it is direct but the code shows it isn't. Hence BT flags it as spam. Unfortunately it did not seem to learn from me marking it as not spam. Apparently Yahoo was not so fussy, so it let the emails through.

0 Ratings