cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karenb1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Account / Email accounts

Hi. I'm trying to resolve an issue with my BT email account and would appreciate any advice please.

BACKGROUND

I have a BT account and am the Account Holder. When I log into www.mybt.com it defaults to:

“Your homepage” with "Your latest bill" showing.

From this page I can also access "My Profile" and "My accounts" etc.  so there would appear to be no doubt that I am (rightly) the account holder.

When my partner logs into (his) www.mybt.com it defaults to a page suggesting he might like to “Manage your account online”.

He sees his profile details under “Your profile” and “You don’t have any accounts you can manage” under “Your accounts”.

This also is correct as he does not “own” our BT account; he “hangs” off it.

ISSUE

When I click on Email (top right) from "Your Homepage", I am taken to "Your Email Accounts" page. My Partner's email address is showing as the Primary email address and I have no idea why this would be the case.

When I click on "Manage BT email", my email address is showing under “Friends and family addresses”. This should be the other way round, as I am the main account holder.

We have been trying to swap these around without losing any email but there seems no easy way to do this.

We spent nearly an hour on BTs Online Chat service and got nowhere. The agent kept referencing options that weren't present and then sent us to a page we had tried before speaking to him. He then disconnected the call without resolving our issue.

Can anyone please help us to swap these addresses around without either of us losing access to our email addresses or our historical emails.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Account / Email accounts

When you started with BT and you set up the email accounts did you set his email account up first. If you did that will be why it is shown as the Primary email account, although BT no longer refer to it as a primary account. You could mark your email account as the "Favourite" and that should place yours first.

If your partner's account is a sub account of yours he will not be able to manage or see any email account until you "gift" him one and he accepts it into his MyBT.

If you are the main BT account holder you need to "gift" his email account to him and he has to accept it into his MyBT. This will remove it from your MyBT and put it into your Friends and Family section. You wil not be abe to manage it other than being able to delete it. All the management will be done from his MyBT.

See links about the different types of email accounts.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-a-new-email-address-%28bt-ma...

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/c/7339

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44975/c/346

karenb1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks very much for your comments. I've tried to follow your advice and have had some difficulties. Whilst I am the BT Account holder, my partner's email address is the only address showing under "Your email addresses" My email address is shown under "Your Friends and Family".  As there is only one address showing under "Your email addresses", I seem to be unable to set a "Favourite". The only option I have against my email address is to Delete it.

I'm wanting to swap these addresses around, so that mine is under "Your email addresses". Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure your advice works in these circumstances. If I'm wrong, please let me know and any other advice would be appreciated.

My main concern is that I don't want to delete addresses if this means I will lose any historic email attached to these addresses or that I won't be able to re-add, as it would look like the email address is already in use.

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Do not delete any email addresses. Once deleted they are gone and can not be re-used.

It sounds like you have used your partner's email address when you set up your MyBT account and BTID hence the reason that it is the "primary" email address.

I don't think there is any way you will be able to change it but I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem.

Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

NeilO
Message 5 of 9

@karenb1 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm not sure there is a solution to this as it sounds like your partners email address was the first one set up therefore making it the primary but we will take a look and consult the email team to see if there is any way to change this. 

Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

karenb1
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Great - thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
karenb1
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks - completed and sent.
0 Ratings
karenb1
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Great and thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 9 of 9

Hi @karenb1,

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me this afternoon.

I'm pleased to have been able to help you sort this out.  Just to confirm, I could see that you had gifted the mailbox to a different BTID and that is the reason you couldn't manage it on your original BTID.  I've moved it back over and I am pleased that you can manage it again now.

I'll go ahead and close things off from here as agreed.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings