cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLB1943
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT Account Verification Centre

I keep getting message through in my Junk Mail from "BT Account Verification Centre", saying a virus has been detected, and I need to provide them with my User Name, User id, Password, Date of Birth, Occupation, and Country.

While realising that this would be a recipe for bankcruptcy, why aren't these message being picked up earlier and 1) not passed on to me, and 2) being traced back and the person sending them being made to suffer in some way?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Account Verification Centre

no virus checker or malware program will pick these up.  just need to be wary like you and realise it's a scam

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Account Verification Centre

@MLB1943 wrote:

I keep getting message through in my Junk Mail from "BT Account Verification Centre", saying a virus has been detected, and I need to provide them with my User Name, User id, Password, Date of Birth, Occupation, and Country.

While realising that this would be a recipe for bankcruptcy, why aren't these message being picked up earlier and 1) not passed on to me, and 2) being traced back and the person sending them being made to suffer in some way?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If these phish emails are ending up in your junk mail (are you referring to the webmail spam folder, or a local mail client junk mail folder ?), then something is doing it's job.

If they are actually appearing in your Inbox, then because the anti-spam systems are machines, they can't get everything right and will be "learning" all the time. In the majoruty of cases it's straightforward for humans to see these emails for what they really are - though unfortunately people do lose money to these criminals.

Tracing them to an original sender is extremely difficult, time consuming and very costly. It's practically impossible to do it as it happens. The sender will either be using a stolen internet account, a hacked computer to send these emails, a stolen mobile access or other wireless connection. They can use internet cafes, and even then will use hacked machines to send their spam.

They will use "throwaway" email addresses, or use a stolen one. They use stolen credit cards, or similar methods to pay for anything.

0 Ratings