cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 36

Re: BT Email access when abroad

All of these replies seemingly justifying the BT scenario where we cannot access our BT Email services while abroad perhaps overlook that many of us have used BT services for considerable times to be the full service provider that they previously boasted of - landlines, emails, etc.  And that we assumed within our monthly charges & billings would continue. In my own case, I've traveled globally since 1969, and used computers, internet and emails abroad since its earlier days. Normally aboard at least half the year.

And, as I've said, pre-C ovid Lockdowns I never had an issue in any of the many countries I visit using BT emails, direct on web Mail or thru Outlook. I'm a simple user for business and social purposes - not a tekkie or advanced "Guru".

Direct phone calls with BT Tekkies, and many email exchanges with them after the ongoing problems on trips since international travel re-started after CoVid has never resulted in any admission of problem from within their Email software or security. Surely as subscribing BT users/consumers we might expect BT to actually address the issues directly with us - and publish any limitations and/or current or planned  changes within their services?

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 36

Well said & I agree entirely. 

Conversations with BT "Helpline" were a shock to me as the only advice they could give me was use gmail !  

A very sad situation and a very poor reflection on BT.  

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 36

@malchemwrote:

Well said & I agree entirely. 

Conversations with BT "Helpline" were a shock to me as the only advice they could give me was use gmail !  

A very sad situation and a very poor reflection on BT.  

Only the moderators replying on here are BT, so any other opinions are their own - and down to many years being in these forums. BTinternet email has been very poor for a large number of years, and hence many of us totally advocate not using it - hence saying to use Gmail.

You will be better off - it doesn't matter if BT listen or not.

BT are not alone when using ISP dedicated email addresses abroad - Sky & TalkTalk have similar problems, with or without VPNs (which can interfere). There can be various reasons for this, including BT blocking access to foreign IP addresses - to protect against scammers etc, or the abroad end blocking access to UK based systems. Some allow webmail access and block smtp/imap-pop - but can be random even at the same location depending on the IP address used at the time. If the destination end blocks access to UK ISP email access, or partially - then BT can't do anything at all to prevent this.

Covid has nothing to do with it, as I said - this has been happening for years. Some people have no issue at all, some get it all of a sudden after years of no problems.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 36

Long held email addresses aren't things you want to chop and change though. I've had my btinternet address for 25 years, so would be quite annoyed if I had to permanently shift to my gmail one.

Surely it can't be that difficult or expensive for BT to maintain this service, and to an acceptable standard?

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 36

@Mikey_Cwrote:

Long held email addresses aren't things you want to chop and change though. I've had my btinternet address for 25 years, so would be quite annoyed if I had to permanently shift to my gmail one.

Surely it can't be that difficult or expensive for BT to maintain this service, and to an acceptable standard?

You think that would be the case, but clearly not. As I have said, this has been happening for years.

Changing to a non ISP email address (even long held ones, which may be quite nice of course) is pretty straightforward for general email contacts. It's a little more involved if the email address is used to sign up to various websites, and can take a few months. Hopefully people keep a list of website sign-ins, making this task quite straightforward. Naturally both email addresses will be used as overlap for a while - so if anything comes on the BTinternet address, you can look into it to get the recipient to change their details.

It only needs to be done once, and then changing ISPs is easy as no email addresses need to be changed at that point, particularly if changing again later.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 36

I've been having this problem, in UK, and all over Europe.

Hugely frustrating, as all my gig tickets in UK, and hotel, ferry, and attraction tickets when travelling, are delivered to my BT account.

I try to download tickets, or appropriate screenshots as soon as bookings arrive. However, on the move plans sometimes change . . .

So BT will be in the bin for me when I get home and can access it to notify contacts of new email arrangements.

Good luck to those still battling!

0 Ratings