cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael226
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

BT Email account will be deleted text

I have got a text and email (to another email address) from BT saying my BT email address will be deleted as I haven't logged in for a period.

The address given is the same as my BT address but with a '1' added after.

I don't remember setting this up and certainly won't have used in for five or more years .

The text says log on to your BT account to manage it  but the email address they say will be deleted isn't shown on my BT account (or that of the account holders).

Is this likely to be a scam?   Equally I don't want a genuine email address deleted and recycled.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Email account will be deleted text

If you never set up any email account with the email address in question and n ever used the email address it is  possibly a scam.

In any event if was genuine and it is deleted BT do not recycle email addresses so it would not be re-issued.

0 Ratings
michael226
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.  On looking the email and texts really do look genuine, but I still don't recall setting it up or using it recently and its not on the email management part of myBT or the account holders.

Is there are risk of trying to link it to see whether it actually is mine?

I guess if BT don't reissue old email addresses, or have any plans to do so,  then its not a security risk to let in be deleted?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If the email address is the same as your own with a 1 added it may be that in the dim distant past you set it up as a test or alternative email address. If that was the case and has been lying dormant for so long and you have not used it there is nothing to be lost by it being deleted.

If you do try and access it, you would require the password to enter the account so unless you now that you won't get into it so it won't present a security risk to you.

You could always contact BT 0800.800.150 and ask for the "Email Team" to see if they can throw any light on the issue.

0 Ratings
michael226
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

I guess that possible  - but surprised it wasn't deleted many  years ago given the 90 day login rule.

When I try and login (with what might be the password ) i get a message that the address is locked as BT suspect unauthorised activity.

Are there an reasons it might not show up on My BT account page?

I might have to ring just to solve the mystery.  Are they good at resolving non-standard things like this over the phone?

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

If you enter the wrong password 4 times, it will lock you for some time so the password you are trying is incorrect.

I had major issues like in 2017 when BT deleted accounts they thought were inactive. The reason was Yahoo accounts had "suspect" usage data. This email may have floated along in that mess and now with their "upgraded" platform they probably have all the correct data which is why you are seeing this now. 

Only if you really want this email back call the helpdesk but they will have to raise a case as its something complex to restore if you are not seeing it within MYBT. Otherwise just let it get deleted...

0 Ratings
michael226
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

The account is actually locked out because  'BT have detected suspicious activity on your account' .

It will let me reset the password by completing some security questions about the account holder which I'm reluctant to do since the account isn't on the account holders MYBT (although it must be linked somehow as they got the due for deletion email).

If I just let the address get deleted will it be available for others to use in the future ?

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 9

Hi @michael226 if you let the deletion go ahead the email will be permanently deleted and won't be recycled. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@michael226 wrote:

If I just let the address get deleted will it be available for others to use in the future ?

See message 2!

0 Ratings