cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jontheguitar
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Email and Outlook 365 NOT WORKING

The published settings by BT no longer work on my Outlook 365. I cannot get outgoing mail to work at all.

I had to change passwords a couple of days ago, and after that I have had nothing but problems. I can still use BT webmail but cannot get Outlook to send mail at all. I have checked all the relevant BT publications re 

Mail server: mail.btinternet.com

Port 465

Authentication: SSL/TLS

Require logon using SPA - not ticked

Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication - ticked

Use same settings as incoming mail server - ticked

but this does NOT work.

Does anyone know what to do next?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Email and Outlook 365 NOT WORKING

Close Outlook, change your password in webmail, wait at least an hour to allow servers to sync passwords and then restart Outlook with new password.

0 Ratings
Jontheguitar
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

This worked for a day or so. Then I'm back to Outlook messages whenever I try to send anything, repeatedly asking for my password and Outlook stating that my username and password are not accepted by the server. Is this an Outlook issue with BT Email or a BT Email issue with Outlook?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Have you got another device/client that you have forgotten about attempting to access the mail server using the old password and thus locking you out with multiple failed attempts?

0 Ratings
HowardH
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

@ Jontheguitar

There are hundreds of people reporting problems with BT email this morning on Downdetector so, if I were you, I would take a few breaths and hope your problems this morning are part of whatever systemic problem BT is having to sort out.

0 Ratings
Jontheguitar
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Ah yes, that is true with mobile phone access.

So, given that I have a mobile phone account to update, what is the process to get phone, web-based mail and Outlook on computer in sync, bearing in mind that the phone and computer are simultaneously contacting the BT Email server?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

The phone and computer are not simultaneously accessing the server if you either turn the phone off or stop the app.

Stop all access to the mail server other than webmail when you change the password and then start access one device at a time with the new password.

0 Ratings
Jontheguitar
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

My thanks to liqourice.

The solution works for the two mobiles connected to the BT webmail account, but NOT for Outlook 365. I have uninstalled the software, reinstalled it, tried to create a new profile, and it fails to connect at every point. I am coming to the conclusion that it is an Outlook 365 problem rather than a BT email problem.

Views?

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Jontheguitar perhaps log out of 365 altogether and restart?  All your programmes are  connected to your OneDrive.  I'm not an expert - using 365 only for 6 months so far but all the components seem to be logged on together.  I run Word not logged on to avoid OneDrive but that has to be a deliberate move.

0 Ratings
Jontheguitar
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi GSPearson

I am not sure that it is a Onedrive issue. I have had no Onedrive problems. It appears to be an issue that for whatever reason Outlook 365 does not appear to be able to communicate correctly with the BT email servers. Whether this is BT's fault or Microsoft's I am yet to determine!

Best Regards

Jontheguitar

0 Ratings