cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castlecombe
Message 21 of 37

Re: BT Email keeps logging me off, every time I click on my Inbox

Hi

I have just spent some time 'live chating with BT' and they say the issue has been esculated to level 2. Like you all have said it is the relationship with Chrome seems to be the problem. But everything was fine up to about 2 weeks ago, so what's changed?? 

0 Ratings
Dandilum
Message 22 of 37

I have had the same problem with BT mail and similar on other sites that have linked account pages etc.  Navigate a specific way and you are logged out of the supposedly secure site.  However, the most problems are with BT Mail.  As you describe, navigate to the Inbox and your session on the BT site is closed.  This is a nightmare for someone who handles the sort of mail I handle.  When I spoke to BT they blamed a 'switch of servers'.  They suggested I use Firefox in place of Chrome.  I find this less user friendly and I am forever playing about with settings such as print settings or such like.  Whether it is Chrome, BT site, Yahoo, BT BB or any combination thereof I do hope it has a raised priority.  Somehow I think the 'change of servers' statement was not entirely true/accurate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 37

Problem is that no one seems to have decided whether the problem is with Chrome or BT Mail. Betfred make Chrome the favourite.

The good news is that until it's resolved you can easily overcome it with a shortcut to another browser to use when you want to go to webmail. Better still save yourselves the bother by using an email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail, which would bring other benefits too. Or just keep banging your heads against the wall.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
mshsrfc
Message 24 of 37

I am amazed when large companies (bt + talk talk) say use another browser (eg firefox) to look at webmail.

The whole idea of webmail is that it can be picked up anywhere on ANY computer. So if you are using computer that is not your own, eg at the office / customers / friends, the chances that will have firefox or anything that is not IE or chrome are slim. 

Stop making stupid suggestions and sort the problem out, so that it works OK with the 2 leading web browsers

I am also amazed when they say that we dont support Windows 7 / XP, stating that we now only support Windows 8, have they no idea how many home and business computers still use XP and 7. We have one customer who only just got all computers upto xp 2 years ago from W2000, so heaven knows when they will update to Win 7 / 8.

0 Ratings
mshsrfc
Message 25 of 37

Just noticed that this forum puts last reply to the end, should it not be the other way round, so that the latest update and hopefully the solution comes first? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 37

Before posting discourteous comments, it might have been sensible to take the trouble to understand that this is essentially a BT customer forum and most contributions come from them, not the company. BT do fail to come up trumps here and there but the root of the problem in this thread not been established; until it has, workarounds are the best you'll get here.

It's unclear what you mean by not supporting Windows 7, but even Microsoft have abandoned XP and users need to upgrade. So do those with cars made for 2 star petrol, especially if they're fitted with analogue TVs.

The order of replies in this forum is consistent with that in at least four other prominent ones that I've dipped into.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 37

@mshsrfc wrote:

I am amazed when large companies (bt + talk talk) say use another browser (eg firefox) to look at webmail.

The whole idea of webmail is that it can be picked up anywhere on ANY computer. So if you are using computer that is not your own, eg at the office / customers / friends, the chances that will have firefox or anything that is not IE or chrome are slim. 

Stop making stupid suggestions and sort the problem out, so that it works OK with the 2 leading web browsers

I am also amazed when they say that we dont support Windows 7 / XP, stating that we now only support Windows 8, have they no idea how many home and business computers still use XP and 7. We have one customer who only just got all computers upto xp 2 years ago from W2000, so heaven knows when they will update to Win 7 / 8.

As far as I'm aware, the problem only exists with Chrome and the jury is still out on who to blame, BT or Chrome, unless you have further information.  So I'm not sure who your comments are addressed to.

Also I have yet to see a Windows PC that doesn't ship with IE, or a Linux distro without Firefox. I'm sure Macs ship don't ship with just Chrome either.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 37

Last reply first. So you get the solution before even reading the thread to see what the problem is or if its the same problem you may have.

Not a very bright idea in my opinion.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 37

You quite rightly get hung, drawn and quartered for top-posting on Usenet,  its impossible to follow threads, same with a forum.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 37

@mshsrfc wrote:

Just noticed that this forum puts last reply to the end, should it not be the other way round, so that the latest update and hopefully the solution comes first? 

This can be set by the user. If you want the latest update first you can do it by going to settings in your account.

Getting back on topic:

Note that you are NOT logged out.

When you are put back to the login screen you can get back to the Inbox list by clicking on the Forward arrow on the Chrome address bar.