Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjphillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Email repeatedly asking for password

Go to solution

BT Email (@btinternet.com) for several months has been repeatedly asking for the password to be entered when sending Emails, after entering the password it still fails / refuses to send (Stayed in Outbox). Originally thought this was an Outlook 2010 problem so installed the latest version of Thunderbird & EM Client to see if it was an Outlook problem whichever program I use has the same problem. Tried resetting password still does not work. Effectively I have to use a none BT Email to send messages.

Receiving Emails is not a problem just sending

Looked on message board and this problem seems to go back several years

Has anyone found an effective answer.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Email repeatedly asking for password

Go to solution

Hi @wjphillips,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems sending emails.

If you log into webmail (BT Mail on bt.com) are you able to send emails from the website?

When in webmail does it show as BT Mail or BT Yahoo at the top of the page?

Thanks 
Matt

0 Ratings
wjphillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for replying

No problem using BT Webmail in sends okay only problem using a mail client tried Outlook2010 my normal client plus also tried Thunderbird & EM Client none of which can send at present.

Problem Sending used to be intermittant now permanent hence the reason I tried other mail clients.

The top line of BT.COM web Mail page looks like this

wjphillips_0-1594986947051.png

On the far right the only thing it says is ********@btinternet.com

It does not say either BT Mail or BT Yahoo

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium Email account?

0 Ratings
wjphillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

BT Broadband & phone

0 Ratings
Gwyndy
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

This problem has been going on for years and is most frustrating.  The 'fix' that I used to use was to set the incoming and outgoing servers to Yahoo as BT was using their mail service. (I have now switched back to mail.btinternet.com and am not currently experiencing any problems.) I'm not sure if this will still work as I think that BT is parting company with Yahoo but you could give it a try.  Settings are -

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

The Yahoo server settings will not work because the OP is on the BTMail system not the BTYahoo system which can be seen by the picture the OP posted.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

If your email account can receive emails and you can send and receive using webmail there is obviously nothing wrong with your email password.

Having said that it may be worth changing your password to see if that "kicks" things back into life.

You should stop any other devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off or add a couple of characters to the email address so that it is not checking your account. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to Outlook remembering to remove any characters you may have added and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

When setting up the email account in Outlook you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

wjphillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Seems to have done the trick Outlook 2010 now seems to be working / sending mail again. Been sending test messages all day intermixed with shutting down and restarting both W10 & Outlook 2010. Fingers crossed it will continue to work. Thank You      gg30340

0 Ratings
AHicks
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

I have tried using this fix and it has not worked for my BT account.  Please advise.

0 Ratings