Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Extras: Email, new user, spam

I got my first BT email address yesterday having become a new BT user this week. I then sent one test email with my new BT email address in both the From and To fields and I've told nobody what me new email address is.

Here's the Inbox after 24 hours.

Is this typical? What do people do to make the BT webmail service usable. I thought for the first minute or so that I'd opted into BT's Marketing but even I can't believe that's what it is.

email screen grab.png

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Extras: Email, new user, spam

If that is your email address at the foot of the list of emails you should delete/blank it out it. This is a public forum and you could get even more spam emails than you are already getting.

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Given what happened I scarcely see that as a problem. Hiding email addresses is a bit old-fashioned and besides, it's in a graphic - it's not a simple matter to automatically harvest it. And the days of pretending to be anonymous are long gone.

I'm more bothered by the instant infestation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Suit yourself but is also against forum rules to post email addresses.

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Ah. That's different, that makes it important. I'll run it through an editor and replace the graphic. I'd not got round to exploring the rules yet.

eta: The edit period on the opening post has elapsed. I attach the modified graphic below, perhaps a passing mod could swap it out of here and replace the rule-offending original at the top of the thread.

gz3a.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Just for info it is here

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/BTCare-Community-Forums-Terms-of-Use/td-p...

"6.3 You must not upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content:

a)  any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person, such as full name, address, phone number, personal email address, and BT reference numbers"

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I expect BT paid a lawyer to write that.

Is an immediate infestation of a new BT email account, as shown, commonplace, or might I improve on whatever I did that caused it to happen? The circumstance isn't one I've ever seen before.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I don't know about the time scale for getting infested with spam is but yours must rate as one of the quickest. BT would appear to have a serious problem with spam. If you have a look through the email board on the forum you will see the scale of the problem. 

It seems to affect some more than others for some reason and as yet BT do not seem to have gotten a grip on it.

Complaining to Customer Services is at best a waste of time. They will inform you that your computer is infected with malware or a virus or that you have caused the problem by publishing your email address on line.

I can only suggest that you may want to keep the email address that you had prior to signing up to BT or use an email client and use its spam filters to sort out the problem.

Other forum users may have some other suggestions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

I would suspect it is a re-cycled email address as it is a fairly common name and so has probably attracted a lot of spam previously.  In addition, the BT mail anti spam measures seem to lurch between being overly zealous and overly lax. Unless you particularly want one, there is no reason to have a BTinternet email address.

Typing whilst gg posted.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

@with wrote:

Ah. That's different, that makes it important. I'll run it through an editor and replace the graphic. I'd not got round to exploring the rules yet.

eta: The edit period on the opening post has elapsed. I attach the modified graphic below, perhaps a passing mod could swap it out of here and replace the rule-offending original at the top of the thread.

gz3a.png

The last entry above shows that the account was created on 13 Jan 2014.   I think you need to get BT to investigate this.

0 Ratings