cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT ID & Main email sub-account won't login on Desktop PC or Laptop but works fine on Mobile devices

Go to solution

We have had the run-around all day from BT with regards to the following problem, namely:

For reasons we fail to understand we are unable to login into our BT ID and our Main, our most used email sub-account. This nuisance only happens on our Windows 10 Desktop PC's or Windows Laptop.

We are nonetheless still able to access this main email account on our Apple or Android devices via Yahoo App. Go figure! Not that this helps - please see below.

Ironically some other less important email sub-accounts, (personal email sub-accounts - still very much part of our BT main account) work just fine on the Win10 Desktop PC or Laptop.

Finally, late morning managed to get someone on BT Chat, (overseas customer service help judging by the grammar and spelling mistakes). He or she (could not discern by the first name) valiantly tried to reset our BT ID but after wasting a good hour, with 3 or 4 failed BT ID reset attempts we were frustratingly given a case number and promised  BT backend (appropriately named!) would give us a call back ... in 2 hours or so.

When we go online trying to surf through the awful interface, the utter shambolic BT website just to find who or what number to call as a  contact telephone, it asks to say which number we are calling from, that is our BT Broadband and landline number The automated recording all day long just states they are aware of a fault with Broadband and all will be solved in ... you guessed it - 2 HOURS!!!

We DO NOT have a problem with Broadband Internet Access. 

We DO HAVE A PROBLEM accessing our main livelihood home working email account. It is costing us, as replying via a Android or Apple screen is time-consuming and near impossible to write more content-rich, complex emails.

Simply unacceptable finding someone to call or help & atrocious follow-up customer service.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT ID & Main email sub-account won't login on Desktop PC or Laptop but works fine on Mobile

Go to solution

You have said you can not log into your BTID, do you mean your MyBT using your BTID or do you mean you are unable to log onto your email account which is the same email address as your BTID

How are you trying to access the email account on your PC and Laptop. Are you using a web browser or using an email client/app.

If it is via an email client/app have you checked that you have the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

The Yahoo email app will very soon stop working so you will need to set up another email app on your mobile devices if you still want to access them via an app on those devices If you are using the Yahoo server settings they are not correct and you need to change them to the settings in the link.

See link about Yahoo settings

https://www.bt.com/help/email/updating-your-bt-email-settings

If you are using a web browser to access your email on your PC and Laptop have you tried clearing the cache/history and cookies via the browser settings and have you tried a different browser?

gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT ID & Main email sub-account won't login on Desktop PC or Laptop but works fine on Mobile

Go to solution

I am not able to login into BOTH:

MyBT using the BTID & one of our main (most used) email sub-accounts which is also simultaneously set up to login as a BTID (mainly because of BT Sports login).

I am still able to login into emails on all of the other email sub-accounts, no problem

I use a web browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc) not an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

So as you can see YES - I have tried a myriad of browsers.

If the Yahoo email app for Android and/or Appple's IOS is going to stop working then does BT then have an app for email access? hmmm ... not good news personally.

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Yahoo, the underlying email service BT still piggy-backs on is working fine (hence why I can still access it via the Mobile Phone App) but it's BT email ID verification system that is causing these major can't login issues.

This happens on a regular basis, last time for us was 3 years ago, every single time there are BT Email server security issues, they merely block access to legitimate users and payers like ourselves.

0 Ratings
gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage,

Just spoke with staff members in UK and/or Ireland and they have confirmed BT has been having issues with login and passwords on a national scale.  At least now, as a loyal going on 17-years BT customer I am better informed, treated like an adult, so it's easier to be understanding, to comprehend something the BT customer support staff located in Asia do not appear to be aware of, blissfully serenading us with BT pat-on-the-back chat lines, in an attempt to appease us whilst we wait for security checks to be tick listed and endless, repetitive tedious explanations of the faults we are hoping to solve. Would be great if the right hand knew what the left hand was doing.

In relation to the above I also do wish to bring your attention to the following: Over the past few days, whilst waiting patiently for our login issues to be solved, on several occasions I have called the following BT support number (From the UK: 0800 800 150). The automated pick-up reply, once it has identified the BT landline I am an account holder of, then states that BT is aware of a Broadband issue in "my area" and that it is working to solve the issue ...within 2 hours. Having called the number several times and hearing the 2-hour promise over and over again just adds ridicule and added frustration to the BT customers forced to listen to this empty promise.

Not wishing to sound ungrateful I do personally wish to thank you and some of the BT staff for your effort and all the hard work you put into helping to solve BT issues on this community forum. Much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
ker585
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Yep been experiencing this since the weekend, thanks for posting this up, I was getting pretty concerned someone had managed to compromise my account tbh and was chanign the password quicker than I could change it and log in.

0 Ratings
southwellpeter
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I have the same problem.  Did you ever get a satisfactory answer?

0 Ratings
southwellpeter
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry, but this is NOT the solution!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@southwellpeter wrote:

Sorry, but this is NOT the solution!

Maybe NOT for you but for the OP of this thread which you have jumped on after it was marked as solved it obviously was or the OP would not have marked it as such!

Perhaps if you start your own thread and outline what the problem is you will get assistance and if it solves your problem you can mark it as solved.

gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth. It was a temporary BT glitch (which sadly happens once in a while so it may still bite back) which has now been resolved.

However sad to note that Yahoo's mobile smartphone email app if installed a while back, it works fine 100%, but if you attempt to install it new - it defaults to BT's webpage sign in so won't allow it.

A real shame as a mobile email access app is extremely useful when on the road and this decision makes little sense, especially if Yahoo's app works fine. 

0 Ratings