Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Luke45
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT ID and E Mail Passwords

Go to solution

Hello  

I have had my bt e mail since 1996. The problems i had in the last month regarding log in  are  almost unberable.  At the moment  both my BT ID  and  e mail must have the same password and changing one needs updating the other one to the same. This cant be so  i am sure .. but how do i get out of  it not clear. If  i attempt to change my e mail password it takes me to BT ID  change. ... Can anyone help me ho do i make them different as they were for years .!!!!  Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT ID and E Mail Passwords

Go to solution

Hi @Luke45,

If you're using an @btinternet.com email address as the login it will link it to your email address. The only way to have separate passwords is to change the login that you use for your BT ID. Do you have any other email addresses that you could use for the login?

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Luke45
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Hi Daniel , Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have another bt e mail to use as my BT ID log in . Needless to say never needed that, as i was login in with the same user name ABC@btinternet.com but two different passwords for BT ID and e mail ( I use web Mail ) . My wife still uses two different passwords. However her BT ID seems to attached her BT Mobile phone account. Mine is our main Broadband / land line account . Now my question is this . If i create another bt e mail ( we only have used 2 out of 11 allowed ) , and use that BT ID will i still be able to see my broadband account details ? Regards .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It doesn't have to be a @btinternet email address, you could use a gmail address as your BTID.

The whole BTID/MyBT/email/passwords is a complete and utter shambles, the idea of linking email with account management is totally crazy. The BTID should just be a text string user ID with no relationship to email whatsoever, BT think it is simpler for folks to have one sign-in and password for everything, totally ignoring the security implications.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hey @Luke45,

Yes you will be able to. Once the email has been created go back to your MyBT initial log in page, click on settings on the top left and then scroll down and click on "Edit username". In the "New BT ID username" field put in the new email address. That will send you a verification email to the new email address. Follow the instructions from there. The only thing that should change is the username.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Luke45
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you Daniel. Your suggestion works.  I created a new e mail and a new password . I am now using that set to access my BT.  My original primary e mail  now can have a different password than BT ID.  However now I have two e mail accounts to be hassled with !! This solution did not bring me how my set up was.

How do I feel about it ?  Unfortunately very disappointed  and I completely  agree with licquorice”s above  comments  

Being  a lifetime BT customer and a since 2014 still waiting to be  migrated from Yahoo to BT servers , and this recent touble with e mails / BT ID  saga ,  I cant help thinking  that  it is high time to re think my options. These days customer pay a  penalty to be loyal

Thanks again and regards.

0 Ratings
Luke45
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Hi and thanks for going to the root of the problem. I agree % 100 .
I will change again and use a non BT user name .
0 Ratings