cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 46

Re: BT ID to access email

What a cluster muck. I suppose if they are all your own email addresses then it is OK if you are happy with it. I assume if you set them up with their own BTID you would not be able to do that.

Is there anybody who has set up separate BTID's for sub accounts able to confirm that you can only access them from the sub-account holder's BTID 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 46

It just needs somebody from BT to write a single page of A4 describing the whole migration process in detail with a few worked examples, but no, they couldn't possibly do that!! Perhaps they don't know. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Squelch
Contributor
Message 23 of 46

Quote:

"Wouldn't it be nice if BT issued clear and precise information about all this. With everything they do, they tell you how to do something but not why and the whole picture. E.g how to set up a BTID but not why it is needed and how it all fits together."

I have to agree, and although I consider myself "tech savvy" I'm finding it difficult to see where this is all headed.

I signed up in Nov 13 and had to create a BTID. I also had to create a primary email account. From what I thought I understood then, was that the BTID was an "access all areas" pass for the account (excepting subemail accounts) and at that time I was being referred to as a new user and using the BTID system.

I'm not sure if I have ever used my BTID (perhaps for BT Vision) and find myself having to firstly log in to MyBT, then log in again to access my billing information, and yet again to access email. To confuse things further, email and MyBT passwords are different yet require the same user name (ID) and just recently that changing the password on BT mail does not change the password on Yahoo mail.

I do not wish to come over unduly negative, nor to pour scorn on what must be a complex process of migration, but the whole thing lacks coherency and there does not appear to be a clear roadmap. It seems I may not be using BTID (or perhaps I am) despite the language being used while setting up my account, and I can only feel despair for "non tech" users while trying to use thier accounts. I was asked if I was on the merge journey today, and that was the first time I'd even heard of it. Clear, concise information on what and how BTID will be achieved would go a long way. Currently it all seems far too haphazard.

Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 46

@Squelch wrote:

Quote:

"Wouldn't it be nice if BT issued clear and precise information about all this. With everything they do, they tell you how to do something but not why and the whole picture. E.g how to set up a BTID but not why it is needed and how it all fits together."

I have to agree, and although I consider myself "tech savvy" I'm finding it difficult to see where this is all headed.

I signed up in Nov 13 and had to create a BTID. I also had to create a primary email account. From what I thought I understood then, was that the BTID was an "access all areas" pass for the account (excepting subemail accounts) and at that time I was being referred to as a new user and using the BTID system.

I'm not sure if I have ever used my BTID (perhaps for BT Vision) and find myself having to firstly log in to MyBT, then log in again to access my billing information, and yet again to access email. To confuse things further, email and MyBT passwords are different yet require the same user name (ID) and just recently that changing the password on BT mail does not change the password on Yahoo mail.

I do not wish to come over unduly negative, nor to pour scorn on what must be a complex process of migration, but the whole thing lacks coherency and there does not appear to be a clear roadmap. It seems I may not be using BTID (or perhaps I am) despite the language being used while setting up my account, and I can only feel despair for "non tech" users while trying to use thier accounts. I was asked if I was on the merge journey today, and that was the first time I'd even heard of it. Clear, concise information on what and how BTID will be achieved would go a long way. Currently it all seems far too haphazard.

If you're still on BTYahoo email, then you have an email address and a Yahoo password that is completely unrelated to the password you use to log in to BT.

So far as I can tell, the BTID and the MyBT username and password are just different names for the same thing.  I log in to MyBT using my BTID.

0 Ratings
Squelch
Contributor
Message 25 of 46

Ectophile wrote:

If you're still on BTYahoo email, then you have an email address and a Yahoo password that is completely unrelated to the password you use to log in to BT.

So far as I can tell, the BTID and the MyBT username and password are just different names for the same thing.  I log in to MyBT using my BTID.

As far as I'm aware, Yahoo is a legacy service and I created a BTID (I do think the primary email address for account login is questionable) and has merely been using the Yahoo mail servers in the interim. However after recent developments, I would contend that Yahoo is not completely unrelated.

Like you, I have been under the impression that BTID and MyBT are one and the same. BTID being the main account holder's master key, and while logged in, they are able to manage the whole account. However, I find myself having to login at almost every action, so how does BTID make life easier? I like to use complex passwords, and being asked to re-enter on every mouse click is rather wearing. That is an inconvenience yes, and sometimes we must endure, but the regularity does run the risk of tempting the user into using a very simple password to ease thier busy lives. The security implications are pretty apparent. Shouldn't BTID be the account holder's AAA pass?

Your words "as far as I can tell" as a distinguished Guru say a lot in themselves. That's not to question your credentials, but the fact that if anyone should have a handle on what the situation is, you and your fellow Gurus should.

Going back to the passwords for MyBT and the mail service. I was forced into creating an @btinternet email address that also serves as my login name (BTID??) To access my mail I have to use the same user name, but the password can be completely different, so now the distinction becomes a little more blurred, but as you say, they are unrelated services. Until yesterday I would have accepted that assertion, but as it transpires, the BT portal is not simply a wrapper for accessing the mail service, but uses a completely different password store. Take the following scenario:

MyBT main account uses testuser@btinternet with password A

Main account eamial is testuser@btinternet with password B

Two different areas of the same account needing different but similar credentials?

Now if using the BT portal the account holder wishes to change the password of the email account they have to log in and make the changes - say changing it to password C. At first blush, this would seem simple and the reciept of a confirmation email shows iit's successful. However, the new password C will not work. Nor will password B... Huh? ok there must have been a misstype, let's try a password reset. Ah ha! success, another confirmation email... nope still doesn't work.

The secret apparently is that the account holder must go to Yahoo and log in with password B to make the changes.

Is this really what BTID is about? Security through obscurity is a rather questionable method, but this goes further, and perhaps BT are trying to confuse the hell out of potential hackers. I would contest that the only confused parties are the poor users, and perhaps BT themselves. Crackers actually thrive on these kinds of scenarios and bank on users with weak passwords due to inconvenience. Plus they already have the username in the form of the email address - Bonus!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 46

I think the problem is forcing people to use an email address for their BTID. As you have discovered, it is not really an email address at all and is in fact just a text string in the form of an email address, therefore the passwords can be different but are stored in different places. This obviously confuses the hell out of people because they think (quite rightly) changing the password for one should change it for the other. Presumably, once the migration is complete and BT is completely divorced from Yahoo, the passwords will merge, although I'm not sure how they will accomplish that. My current MYBT user name is not an email address but a straightforward text string but I am expecting to have to change that when migrated. That in itself might prove an interesting exercise, as at some point in the past somebody inadvertently used my email address as their user name for their MYBT account obviously with a different password to my email account. I tried to get that resolved at the time, but lost the will to live in trying to explain what had happened!!!

At the risk of repeating myself yet again, could one of the mods please pick this up and try to get some clear and precise information disseminated to customers.

0 Ratings
booton
Beginner
Message 27 of 46

i need help setting this btid up, i can enter my email, it show my phone and account number. i then try to verify the set up with my password mut it tell me the password is not valid. i understood that the password should be the same as you use yo log into your email account but for some reason it is not. i hae reset the password a number of time but again this has made no differance.

a number of email and live chat session with the bt help has still got me no closer to getting this sorted. any ideas on what else to try?

thanks

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 46

Oh my word. I knew I might have the odd glitch to sort out when (and if) I was migrated. But this is now such a dog's breakfast (and possibly one that has been regurgitated) that I wonder whether the pain is going to be worth it. I tend to agree with licquorice that someone in BT (are you listening mods?) needs to get a firm grip on this email malarkey and come up with a definitive guide that even my wife (who loves the benefits that technology has brought but is not at all technically minded) can understand. On second thoughts it might be better for all concerned if BT looked at how other ISPs have organised their e-mail system and use something similar - but I forgot this is the outsourcing era and it would not look good if BT did not jump on the bandwagon. I give in - I suppose it will be sorted out eventually.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
smurf001
Contributor
Message 29 of 46

Re: BT ID to access email Security Issue

Has anyone had any success in blocking access to the primary email account when logging into My BT with a different email address and password?

I have tried contacting BT but they do not seem to understand.  I have also asked if they could change my primary account to a secondary account to prevent it from happening, but the people I have spoken to at BT are being most unhelpful.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 46

Re: BT ID to access email Security Issue

Is the address you are able to log onto MyBT a sub account of the primary email address. If it is you will need to gift it and set up its own BTID & MyBT

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48771/c/346,6769,7012