cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 46

Re: BT ID to access email

If you are an "old" user and have a primary email address and password you can use that to log onto BTWifi. This is what I use. I have not yet been migrated so I don't know if this will still work after I am migrated.

If you are a new user, you no longer get a primary email address when you sign up to BT Internet which means you have to use the BTID which must be an email address if you want to log onto BTWifi.

smurf001
Contributor
Message 12 of 46

Something to be aware of.  Even if you use a different email address for the BT login than your BT email address, you are still able to access your BT emails once you have signed into your account - with any email address.  Seems to be a bit of a security issue to me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 46

It shouldn't be a security issue, as the BTID is password protected, and is associated with your BT account.  When logging on to read your email, it's just being used as a user-name to log in with.  It's largely irrelevant whether or not that is the same as your BT email address.

0 Ratings
smurf001
Contributor
Message 14 of 46

Not sure if we are misunderstanding each other.

You can use any email address and password to log into your BT account and it will still access your BT emails.

Maybe not a security issue as such but in my case the account holder and the holder of the email account are two separate people and now the account holder has access to someone else's emails.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 46

The more I hear of this debacle the more confused I become. There doesn't appear to be a common experience of how this dog's breakfast works. Everybody seems to have a different understanding/experience. I await the migration in trepidation!!

0 Ratings
Nantybig
Contributor
Message 16 of 46

I have three accounts, I'm an old customer, the initial one I started with, say ABC @bt......., I then started two others, say 123@bt........... and XYZ@BT...........

The first is not used much, the other two more frquently and along with the disposables kept spam at bay.

Previous to the switch I got the ' we are changing you over and you need to sort your I.D. and a new password ' email for all three accounts a week ot so previous to the date.

So one day I was reading mails on XYZ, read through the bumph and decided to do all the clicking, change password etc and it all went through OK.

The only difference when signing in now is that where previously ABC was the first account in the list, XYZ is,  and previously where I had to sign in - sign out of each account, what  happens how it that XYZ is the first in the list but three clicks takes me to any of the other accounts ( though a bit clunky and slow at the moment )  without having to sign in to them individually as previously.

So that part, if you follow the instructions appears to work reasonably OK.................It's the rest of the carp they need to get to grips with though.

On a different note, on setting up some disposable address, which is simple, it appears that you can have 200 Smiley Happy

The main fly in the ointment for me is still the ' security logging out '

Though when clicking yes, in the ' you have been logged out box ',  logging back in takes me to the BT homepage, I then click on Mail and am returned, not to the account I had open but the XYZ account, all this happens without having to re-enter my password, so it appears to have been saved and remembered.

Yes I do also use Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 46

Am I correct in saying that once you have signed into you MyBT you can access and read any of the sub-accounts without having to sign into them or knowing the password for these accounts?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 46

Wouldn't it be nice if BT issued clear and precise information about all this. With everything they do, they tell you how to do something but not why and the whole picture. E.g how to set up a BTID but not why it is needed and how it all fits together.

0 Ratings
Nantybig
Contributor
Message 19 of 46

The accounts are all mine and I live alone so there is no problem with members of the household accessing each others account without the password or their permission ............................ however.

First, each account has a unique password.

I have just logged out and back in, so up comes the BT homepage, I click on mail, get the log in box, I have the choice of logging in under any of the accounts, I chose the 123@ one, this isn't the prime account, nor the one I used for the changeover, click log in and I'm taken to the 123@ account, at top right it simply says Hello 123, and don't have access to the other accounts, unless I log out and then into the account I require.

I log out.

Next I log into my primary account, I'm not taken to my primary account ! , but to the account I used to do the changeover gubbins........................ now it gets interesting.

At the top right of the page, next to the BT logo, you have the Hello, but now there is a menue box, in the box it says welcome to the account I used to do the changeover.

I click the menue down arrow and get the message ' currently viewing the changeover account,'  with the option to switch to either of the other accounts.

Click on one, click on the ' are you sure you want to switch OK button ' , and there I am with full and unfettered access to that account.

I can click in and out of any and all of them as many times as I want without being asked for any of the passwords.

I know.............................. dont ask me, as long as I can access and use them I can't be arsed about going into the wheres and whyfores. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 46

But presumably all the accounts are associated with one BTID rather than individual IDs for each, otherwise its a complete nonsense.

0 Ratings