Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Mail Login Page from BT.com

Go to solution

Hi Folks

Prologue: For various reasons I often need to use BT webmail rather than an email client so, please, advising me to start using one is wasting everybody's time.  (I also use Thunderbird & the native Android email client)

Background: I used to be a BT broadband customer and several years ago BT insisted that all the email address users associated with my account (my family) should have their own MyBT areas. Much sweat and many phone calls achieved that for all bar one address that BT refused to port.  I later changed broadband supplier and took on BT's Premium (priced) Email service to retain everybody's email addresses.

The Problem: Using windows 10 and Firefox (all updated to the latest versions) I get to the webmail by going to BT.com and selecting Email from the right hand end of the blue bar menu.  Making that choice brings up the email login screen. I enter my address and password , click sign in or press return and things begin to happen.

Four times out of five the webmail screen will come up and I can use it. Every fifth time I find myself in MyBT being told that my email is locked (Who locked it and why?). I then have to choose unlock email and then Manage emails. The next screen than allows me to choose Goto Favourite email. Once selected that finally drops me into the webmail screen.

What I want to know is how to stop the system doing that to me as it is clearly a BT issue, not something that results from my end of the line.

I don't know if it is relevant, but a year or more ago BT did something similar in that it forced one into MyBT whenever one selected Email.  I complained about it on several occasions in the BT feedback questionnaires that popped up from BT, though I doubt if BT just listened to me!  Eventually the foolishness was stopped but now it seems to be back in a different format.

I would welcome any advice.

Regards

Pete

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Mail Login Page from BT.com

Go to solution

Interesting addition to this problem.  In the last few days, when BT throws me into MyBT to unlock my email and then Manage my account, I am no longer able to get any further.  The system just keeps going around the same loop and never gets to the email login screen.  The only way out is to clear the webpage and start again.  Presumably my presence in that circuit has reset the counter to zero and it will then give me four or five 'normal' log ins.

Initial diversion screenInitial diversion screen

Advice from any Sage would be welcome.

Pete

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @PeteThePen1  sorry that you are having this problem with your email account. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you with this. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Good morning @PeteThePen1,

Thanks for taking the time to PM us your account details. Our BT Mail product team tried to call you this morning sorry they missed you. Would you be free to take a call between 12-2pm today?

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

For anybody else who may have experienced this unusual issue I am happy to report that I was contacted by the BT Team this afternoon.

Following a screen share session the issue was demonstrated and the tests identified that the password for MyBT and Email were probably different in some way.  The passwords were then schronised manually to the Mail password and the issue seems to be resolved.

Thanks to all those involved.

Pete

Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @PeteThePen1,

I'm really glad to hear the issue is now fixed Pete.

Thanks for coming back onto the Community to let everyone know the issue has been resolved. This really helps our community grow. 

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Matt-Swrote:

Hi @PeteThePen1,

I'm really glad to hear the issue is now fixed Pete.

Thanks for coming back onto the Community to let everyone know the issue has been resolved. This really helps our community grow. 

Matt

The issue raised here has happened before, and the cause is because BT want people to use the same password/email address combo as the login details for BT.COM

I believe this should not be the case and they should be different entities completely.

0 Ratings