cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammy2
Message 1 of 7

BT Mail Outage?

I am using BT Yahoo Mail with IMAP.

Messages sent to my personal domain/alias are being bounced with the following message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

******@btinternet.com (Name deleted for confidentiality reasons)

It would appear that BT have stopped mails to my *****@btinternet.com being autoforwarded and they are NOT appearing in my BT mail account either.

I was eventually told by the BT Help Desk last Friday (18th September) that there was a major email outage. The Help Desk had not been told and only discovered this when they went off to speak to the Email technicians. I was told it would take 24 - 48 hrs to fix. It still had not been fixed yesterday so I contacted Help Desk again who confirmed that there was still a major mail outage and that this had started a week ago!

It must be affecting hundreds/thousands of BT customers but I can find nothing on-line from BT confirming there is a major problem! Has anyone else had this problem? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Mail Outage?

@Sammy2 wrote:

Messages sent to my personal domain/alias are being bounced with the following message:

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

It would appear that BT have stopped mails to my *****@btinternet.com being autoforwarded and they are NOT appearing in my BT mail account either.

I was eventually told by the BT Help Desk last Friday (18th September) that there was a major email outage. The Help Desk had not been told and only discovered this when they went off to speak to the Email technicians. I was told it would take 24 - 48 hrs to fix. It still had not been fixed yesterday so I contacted Help Desk again who confirmed that there was still a major mail outage and that this had started a week ago!

It must be affecting hundreds/thousands of BT customers but I can find nothing on-line from BT confirming there is a major problem! Has anyone else had this problem? 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

There hasn't been a mail outage, but there have been sporadic email problems for some people - on both BTYahoo and BTMail.

Sorry if I appear slightly confused, but do I assume that the forwarding is from your domain to your BTinternet account ? your line here :-

It would appear that BT have stopped mails to my *****@btinternet.com being autoforwarded

might imply forwarding from your btinternet account.

It actually sounds like an issue with your domain host if my initial assumption is correct.

0 Ratings
simongarrett
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@Sammy2 wrote:

Oh, wonderful.  I spent 2 hours on a fruitless series of chat session plus phone calls about this issue.  Most emails are getting through OK for me, but over the past 4 days a small minority (less than 5%) of emails are being delayed by hours or days before delivery - sometimes then being bounced back to the sender. 

The support guys couldn't get beyond "let me check your client settings", even though this is about incoming email that isn't getting to my account (webmail, POP3 or IMAP).  It isn't a problem with BT's network, it must be your client or maybe it's a problem somewhere else on the network but definitely there isn't a fault with BT's network.  Look, we can send an email to your account, so your intermittant fault is fixed, OK?  No, it's not OK, and I'm still getting people grumbling that email to me has been bounced. 

0 Ratings
Marknet
Message 4 of 7

I've got the same problem over last 3-4 days with email forward from anther account to BT. That provider has looked at the logs and say it is a BT issue.

0 Ratings
Sammy2
Message 5 of 7

Apologies if I didn't explain thhings well enough. The problem is mails being forwarded from my btinternet.com to my personal domain/email address (which is hosted by BT by the way).  I am getting phone calls from a lot of people saying mails to my personal email address are getting bounced because of being unable to connect to the mail server.

If there isn't an outage, why do the HelpDesk people say there is? (I know this is in India and there is perhaps a problem with comminication between email technicians in the UK and support staff).  But it is incredibly frustrating not knowing who to believe and in the meantime I am not receiving emails to my personal address .

Also, these bounced emails are not showing up in my webmail (btinternet.com) account. Am I going to get an avalanche of them pouring into my personal address inbox when the matter is finally resolved, or have they actually disappeared and not been delivered to my btinternet.com inbox?

I need some proper guidance and information about what is actually going on! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@Sammy2 wrote:
Also, these bounced emails are not showing up in my webmail (btinternet.com) account. Am I going to get an avalanche of them pouring into my personal address inbox when the matter is finally resolved, or have they actually disappeared and not been delivered to my btinternet.com inbox?

Thanks for the confirmed details.

Do you know if you set the forwarding to copy to your Inbox as well as basic forwarding ? The latter will not of course keep any emails.

As for the outage being given to you, if there was there would be masses of similar complaints. There are clearly current problems with the service, either Yahoo! or BTMail by Openwave.

As the emails have bounced, then when the system is fixed, I wouldn't expect you to get any of them unfortunately.

I need some proper guidance and information about what is actually going on! 

I can't agree more. BT hardly ever give any feedback on the reasons for failure or what is being done to check servers etc. It seems like nothing is being done to investigate.

I've said it before, it can't be tricky to ask one of the end users who has a problem, to get a proper technical person to chase through the account of that user with permission and do end to end checks to see what's going on, including testing by sending emails etc and looking at the server. There are clearly email account flags that the users have no control over, but can be checked by the correct people.

0 Ratings
Richiel
Message 7 of 7

I had the same problem with mail being blocked by BT from midday last Thursday. I lost 3 days worth of messages from 2 accounts while trying to deal with first tier support, who assured me there were no problems with BT servers, even though the failure messages clearly showed there was.

I eventually circumvented BT and sent my mail to Hotmail account, to get back in communication.

By Wednesday this week, test messages began to get through and i re-established the original protocol i was using.

This is working, but there still seems to be a slight problem where nothing comes through for some hours and then a surge of messages come through in bulk.

0 Ratings