cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
highlandit
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Mail blocking gmail addresses by default?

Go to solution

Came upon something odd - friend has a btinternet email address and checks it online.  She hasn't been getting some gmail messages, even if she sends to them first and they reply.  I tested by sending to her btinternet address from a gmail account and it did not reach her inbox.  But when she sent to the gmail, it arrived.  When I replied to her, the reply did not reach her inbox.  We checked her settings and there was no generic block on gmail addresses.  When we added the gmail address to the Approved addresses and tried again, the gmail got through ok.

While this is fine when she knows in advance what gmail address to add to the Approved addresses, how is she to know when a new gmail address tries to reach her?  If BT Mail is pre-filtering and blocking gmail addresses without warning the sender or alerting my friend in some way (or diverting the unknown address to her Spam folder) what if anything can be done about the problem?

I am now left wondering if BT Mail is pre-filtering my own btinternet account and I have no way of seeing what gmail messages I have been missing!

Any ideas?

Steve

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Mail blocking gmail addresses by default?

Go to solution

No, definitely not although I have also noticed that there is a considerable delay between sending from Gmail and receiving it on my BT email

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Accepting that it should not be necessary to do this but she could try adding the gmail domain to her safe senders list.

If she logs onto her email account and goes to "settings" which is found by clicking on her user name at the top right hand side then go to "Mail" then "Safe senders" and add *@gmail.com then click save.

0 Ratings
highlandit
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, tried adding a wildcard *.gmail.com to the Approved list but it was rejected.  Interestingly, you can use a wildcard *.gmail.com to block everything from that domain.  If there was simply a delay, why did the gmail address start working ok after it was approved but the previous attempt failed to show up?  I still wonder if there is a pre-filter in use at the BT mail server that is hidden from user control.  This is something one hears about for talktalk mail users.  I very much hope it isn't happening with BT Mail...

Steve

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

BT and I'm sure other email providers will undoubtedly be filtering emails prior to them getting to inboxes.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/using-bt-mail-s-anti-spam-features

I would imagine that this will include gmail addresses given that many spammers use gmail. They will not be being blocked solely because of the email address, the email will have contained triggers that activate the spam filters. If there were no filters inboxes would be inundated with spam.

I note you have a dot prior to gmail.com. If you used that in the safe sender you should try it without the dot.

0 Ratings
highlandit
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Good point about the dot - that was a typo.  The actual entry rejected by the Approved field was *@gmail.com

But my question stands - how is the user supposed to predict what genuine gmail addresses she might be missing mail from, if there is no alert to tell her and the sender does not receive a rejection from the Postmaster?

Agreed about the volume of spam from bogus gmail addresses and others but I am not sure it is for BT Mail to vet what should or should not reach the spam folder.  It is ironic that the same issue happened to BT in the Yahoo years when ca.com blocked all btinternet addresses for a time due to the volume of spam their customers were receiving. 

Steve

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I have checked and added *@gmail.com to the safe senders list without any problem.

As regards how you tell what has been rejected, I have no idea, you may need to contact the BT Postmaster that question.

See link about best practice.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/fix-a-problem/sending-or-receiving-email/bt-email---best-practices-for...

As for BT and undoubtedly other email providers vetting what is spam and what is not I suppose their response will be something along the line that it's their email system, they have filters to decide and they can block what they want.

It is in BT's T&Cs that you agree to when you use their email system that they will move or block email if they think it is spam. See section 7 (c) and (d)

https://www.bt.com/help/home/terms/

0 Ratings
highlandit
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Great - I'll have another shot at adding *@gmail.com to the Approved list and see if that helps her.  Thanks for your feedback 😀

0 Ratings
highlandit
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Yes, that worked, Thanks for your help, gg30340.
Steve
0 Ratings