Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Proph
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Mail | @btinternet.com | Cannot send mail

Go to solution

In the last 24 hours I have been unable to send any mail from my @btinternet.com account from any of my devices.  These include Windows PC running Office365 & Outlook; Apple MAC running native email application; IOS (iPad & iPhone) using both native email apps and IOS Outlook.

Incoming mail works, but unable to send anything.  Various errors messages.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Mail | @btinternet.com | Cannot send mail

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.

Because all your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and assuming you can still access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

You should however check that your email clients are using the correct settings as per this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
Proph
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply. 

Frankly, just waiting & hoping that the problem resolves itself is not what I was hoping to hear. No disrespect  intended as your advice is probably based on years of experience of BT’s service!

Clearly, somewhere, somebody in BT’s email service provider organisation has made a change in their configurations, or there is a fault. How can we as customers get BT’s attention and ensure that there is a fix?

Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Proph wrote:

Thank you for the reply. 

Frankly, just waiting & hoping that the problem resolves itself is not what I was hoping to hear. No disrespect  intended as your advice is probably based on years of experience of BT’s service!

Clearly, somewhere, somebody in BT’s email service provider organisation has made a change in their configurations, or there is a fault. How can we as customers get BT’s attention and ensure that there is a fix?

Any other ideas?

Last point first, get a gmail account.

As regards your other points have a look at  these threads and that is only a few of the recent ones and make up your own mind about getting BT's attention.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Problems-connecting-to-POP3-IMAP/td-p/1786726

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/SMTP-server-password-issue-cannot-send-e-mails-from-e-mail/td-p/19...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-Email-on-Outlook-amp-iPhone/td-p/1949938

0 Ratings
Proph
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

UPDATE

Yesterday, I managed to contact BT via webchat.  Typical script!  Having established that I was able to send email from webmail, the agent told me that there were no issue with BT's Servers (or the company who provides this service on their behalf), and the issue was with my device.

When I pointed out that the same issue happened at the same time on multiple devices, running multiple email applications, the agent agreed to escalate my issue, and I have been promised a reply within a further 24 hours.

By coincidence(?), having escalated the issue, within one hour, I was able to send email again from all devices and from all applications.

Maybe gg30340 was right when stating that these things just sort themselves out; maybe my insistence that there was an issue with the servers did initiate an investigation by one of BT's technical staff.  We shall never know, but fingers are firmly crossed that the service will return to normal.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Having the same problem myself today - unable to send emails from my @btinternet.com account. Tried on various devices with same result. Can send emails fine from any other account.

0 Ratings
Proph
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

All I can suggest is contact BT via Web Chat and don’t take ‘No’ for an answer when they say the issue is with your device(s). 

Interestingly, I have received two follow-up calls from ‘2nd-level technical support’ who have advised that they have done some work on their systems as a result of my initial contact. 

Good luck.  

LesC
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks 🙂   I decided to wait and see and this evening emails are sending OK again with the exception of one email that returns a 453 Too many recipients error message  - I was trying to send an email to about 50 people...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

The maximum of recipients is 49.

LesC
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution