Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leamphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 40

BT Mail invalid security certificate

Go to solution
When I logon to my mail using Firefox (the latest version, Firefox 45.0) I get a message that "uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com uses an invalid security certificate." It goes on to say: The certificate is only valid for the following names: yahooapis.com, flic.kr, flickr.com, ymail.com, *.yahoo.com, *.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.answers.yahoo.com, *.calendar.yahoo.com, *.flickr.com, *.groups.yahoo.com, *.mail.yahoo.com, *.msg.yahoo.com, *.ymail.com, *.finance.yahoo.com, *.news.yahoo.com, *.video.yahoo.com, *.m.yahoo.com, *.my.yahoo.com, *.search.yahoo.com, *.secure.yahoo.com, *.yahooapis.com, *.mg.mail.yahoo.com, *.api.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.autos.yahoo.com, *.cricket.yahoo.com, *.eurosport.yahoo.com, *.everything.yahoo.com, *.football.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.games.yahoo.com, *.lifestyle.yahoo.com, *.movies.yahoo.com, *.mujer.yahoo.com, *.music.yahoo.com, *.noticias.yahoo.com, *.safely.yahoo.com, *.screen.yahoo.com, *.seguridad.yahoo.com, *.shine.yahoo.com, *.sports.yahoo.com, *.travel.yahoo.com, *.tv.yahoo.com, *.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.weather.yahoo.com, *.notepad.yahoo.com, *.protrade.com, *.yql.yahoo.com, *.staticflickr.com, *.wc.yahoodns.net, *.deals.yahoo.com, *.help.yahoo.com, *.celebrity.yahoo.com, *.auctions.yahoo.com, *.ybp.yahoo.com, *.geo.yahoo.com, *.maktoob.com, *.messenger.yahoo.com, s.wc.yahoo.net, *.antispam.yahoo.com, *.ysm.yahoo.com, video.media.yql.yahoo.com, www.tumblr.com, tumblr.com, api.tumblr.com, *.global-pop.tumblr.com, *.tripod.yahoo.com, *.iris.yahoo.com, www.yahoo.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
xiekitchen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 40

Re: BT Mail invalid security certificate

Go to solution

I'm having the same problem, also using Firefox:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
  yahooapis.com, flic.kr, flickr.com, ymail.com, *.yahoo.com, *.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.answers.yahoo.com, *.calendar.yahoo.com, *.flickr.com, *.groups.yahoo.com, *.mail.yahoo.com, *.msg.yahoo.com, *.ymail.com, *.finance.yahoo.com, *.news.yahoo.com, *.video.yahoo.com, *.m.yahoo.com, *.my.yahoo.com, *.search.yahoo.com, *.secure.yahoo.com, *.yahooapis.com, *.mg.mail.yahoo.com, *.api.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.autos.yahoo.com, *.cricket.yahoo.com, *.eurosport.yahoo.com, *.everything.yahoo.com, *.football.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.games.yahoo.com, *.lifestyle.yahoo.com, *.movies.yahoo.com, *.mujer.yahoo.com, *.music.yahoo.com, *.noticias.yahoo.com, *.safely.yahoo.com, *.screen.yahoo.com, *.seguridad.yahoo.com, *.shine.yahoo.com, *.sports.yahoo.com, *.travel.yahoo.com, *.tv.yahoo.com, *.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com, *.weather.yahoo.com, *.notepad.yahoo.com, *.protrade.com, *.yql.yahoo.com, *.staticflickr.com, *.wc.yahoodns.net, *.deals.yahoo.com, *.help.yahoo.com, *.celebrity.yahoo.com, *.auctions.yahoo.com, *.ybp.yahoo.com, *.geo.yahoo.com, *.maktoob.com, *.messenger.yahoo.com, s.wc.yahoo.net, *.antispam.yahoo.com, *.ysm.yahoo.com, video.media.yql.yahoo.com, www.tumblr.com, tumblr.com, api.tumblr.com, *.global-pop.tumblr.com, *.tripod.yahoo.com, *.iris.yahoo.com, www.yahoo.com  

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

So i'm trying to log into https://uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com/ & the problem seems to be that nowhere on the certificate is "bt" listed & the only mentions of mail are for:

ymail.com

mail.yahoo.com

& mg.mail.yahoo.com

Clearly the security certificate SHOULD also include mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com too.

I've been trying to get the issue fixed since it cropped up for me (in the early hours of Thursday 17th March), called 3 times, wasted over an hour & a half trying to get through last night, got through today only for the buck to be passed & told either to use a different browser or to add an exception to bypass the security certificate (which I really shouldn't have to do - BT should be fixing the issue on their side).

If I look at the page info for uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com it has:

Web site: uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com

Owner: This web site does not supply ownership information.

Verified by: Not specified

Techinical Details:

Connection Not Encrypted

The web site uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com does not support encryption for the page you are viewing.

Information sent over the internet without encryption can be seen by other people whie it is in transit.

I hope bt fixes the issue soon, it seems pretty clear cut what the problem is & that it's something they need to sort out, & not a browser or an antivirus software issue (which is what the general team tried to tell me it was down to). Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 40

Go to solution

It could be that you are using an old stale shortcut/link.

What happens when you use this link

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

0 Ratings
xiekitchen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 40

Go to solution
Re. https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

That's where I have bookmarked to log in from, & that's where I get the "Your connection is not secure" etc message, so it's not an old link.

Thanks though.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 40

Go to solution

Kaspersky not happy with the certificate either.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 40

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

Thank you for highlighting. I've asked BT Yahoo Mail to investigate.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 40

Go to solution

Thanks Paddy

0 Ratings
xiekitchen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 40

Go to solution

I should add that if i log in via Google Chrome via the same page it takes me to https://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=bt.... rather than https://uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com/ which would explain why the same security certificate isn't an issue within Chrome.

Not sure why the same log in page takes you to a different address depending what browser you're on.   

0 Ratings
DaveP92
Beginner
Message 9 of 40

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem and received the same responses from BT that you did!

However, one thing I have found - disabling NoScript in the add-ons section of Firefox removed the problem for me, but does leave my setup more vunerable.  Let's hope a better fix is found soon.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 40

Go to solution

Same happening here. I'll try fiddling with NoScript settings, but I feel very uneasy about this.
BT you should be encouraging customers to engage strong security measures on our systems, not disable them. It is a poor thing if we have to weaken security to log into our webmail.

Why have BTYahoo Mail taken so long to reply, Paddy, on this important matter?

Insecure_BTYahoo_login.JPG

0 Ratings