cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oliver341
Expert
3,850 Views
Message 1 of 89

BT Mail is live!

Looks like BT Mail is finally here. New BT Mail mailboxes can now be created, old Yahoo mailboxes will be migrated later.

 

 

btmail.png

Oliver.
0 Ratings
88 REPLIES 88
Oliver341
Expert
3,840 Views
Message 2 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

Configuration settings here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

 

Good to see both IMAP and SSL supported.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
3,836 Views
Message 3 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

I can now add the extra help page to my website, as it appears that the trial has now ended.

 

The new BT Mail

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
3,833 Views
Message 4 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

Nice to see it finally arrive, will be interesting to hear people's thoughts.

 

There was no indication whether the new webmail service would carry adverts, sadly the answer is yes it does, but hopefully now it is under BT's control they will be kept "sensible".

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
3,822 Views
Message 5 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!


@Oliver341 wrote:

Nice to see it finally arrive, will be interesting to hear people's thoughts.

 

There was no indication whether the new webmail service would carry adverts, sadly the answer is yes it does, but hopefully now it is under BT's control they will be kept "sensible".


Interesting ... as the old method is still available (e.g. via my shortcuts option 12b).

 

I do have a lot to update at some time in the future !

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
3,817 Views
Message 6 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!


@Andy_N wrote:



Interesting ... as the old method is still available (e.g. via my shortcuts option 12b).

 


 

The Yahoo system still accepts BT logins for the older mailboxes. Newly created mailboxes will get a "user id not recognised" if a login attempt is made at Yahoo since the mailbox no longer sits on their servers.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
3,802 Views
Message 7 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

Another interesting thing is that the BT Mail mailbox management page does not contain existing Yahoo mailboxes ("You have used 0 of your 11 available addresses").

 

Presumably when Yahoo mailboxes are migrated over they will then appear in this list. If 11 BT Mail mailboxes are created before the Yahoo migration, I wonder if it will say "You have used 12 of your 11 available addresses" or just fail altogether.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
3,794 Views
Message 8 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

You can create extra mailboxes quite easily on the new system, and you can also give them away to friends and family, which I suppose was no different than before, except that you lose control of that account.

 

I guess that if you left BT, then those people would then have to pay, which could make you unpopular, but BT would gain.

 

ffmail.jpg

 

 

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
3,789 Views
Message 10 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!

Yeah, I'm just wondering what happens if someone creates 11 BT Mail mailboxes before the Yahoo mailboxes are migrated. Potentially the migration could fail since the user has already got their maximum allowance.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
2,623 Views
Message 13 of 89

Re: BT Mail is live!


@Oliver341 wrote:

Yeah, I'm just wondering what happens if someone creates 11 BT Mail mailboxes before the Yahoo mailboxes are migrated. Potentially the migration could fail since the user has already got their maximum allowance.


That would be a bad idea. I would not like to attempt to do that, before migration. It may not even allow it at the moment, unless you are a new customer.

0 Ratings