For the last 72 hours I have been unable to use Microsoft Outlook with Microsoft 365 lastest version and Windows 7 Professional. The error message I get is
Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders fo firstname.lastname@example.org.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for email@example.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
I can access email through the web based system but need to use Outlook. I have it set up as an IMAP account with BT Broadband as my internet and email provider. I have changed passwords, deleted accounts and reinstated them to no avail. I have been in contact with BT online chat who said they were unable to help because they had no training with third party email systems. This has happened to me in the past and despite spending several hours with support technicians from both BT and Microsoft no-one has been able to solve the problem, each saying that it was the other providers problem. The fact that the system ws working perfectly and no settings changed at my end would suggest that there is a problem with internal systems. At one stage I was told by a BT technician that the problem lay between Yahoo and BT systems not connecting to each other correctly but I have no way of proving if this is the case. A suggstions welcome as I seem to have done everything suggested in other threads.
Solved! Go to Solution.
In response to this and the other thread you posted in, can you say if you're on BTYahoo or BTMail?
Unfortunately you have changed passwords and deleted/reinstalled the account - these are not recommended as this is not the fault.
However - if webmail access works, and you're on BTYahoo, the you implied you've tried (after previously logged out) :-
that this doesn't kickstart Outlook.
If you use any other devices, make sure they are not checking for email. Then try the old password in Outlook only. If that fails, then I do suggest you change the password again.
This time, when changing password, wait for at least 15 minutes before even checking with webmail access. Do this first. If you can get access, then change the Outlook password. Sometimes the password in Outlook can get corrupted, needing account delete/add - but don't do that yet.
As you have deleted/reinstated the account in Outlook, please make doubly sure all the settings are correct - it is easy to get the odd character wrong, wrong port numbers, ticking the wrong options.
I am having the same problem today and feel this problem lies with BT.
I have BT Yahoo email which has not had any settings changed for many years. Both my Win7/Outlook 2010 and Win 10/Outlook 2016 devices are getting the same error message as SueFoster110 . On top of that my iPad & iPhone are frozen as of last night and are not receiving any synchronisation from the BT server despite my deleting and receiving further emails since today via web mail.
Before you suggest changing my email account I am in the process of doing that as I have found BT mail unreliable in the past. I am running another mail account in parallel and slowly switching over.
Resolved thanks. What I did was change the password in Outlook to the old one, test and tested the system. This failed to send or receive. I then changed the password back to the new one which was working in the web based system and again ran a test of the system. This then kick started the system to accept Outlook again. Wish I knew what stopped it working in the first instance, it had been working ok for the previous 6 months and nothing had been changed from our side.
This is still not working for me. I've up-dated my password. Tried using the old one and updating again. Outlook should be picking up the correct settings but it is failing to do so and I have to manually enter them. Perhaps when I get the next revision of the Microsoft updates it will work. Windows always seems to be in a permanent beta form and uncoordinated with other service providers.