cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Mail not syncing with Mail on iPhone

Go to solution

A few weeks ago I had a message from BT to change my password. I did this and also decided to delete my BT account from the Mail app on my iPhone and reinstall it.

Unfortunately after reinstalling, the Mail does seem to sync any changes e.g. deleted emails, read/unread.

My BT email has continue to run fine on my iPads and iMac.  

I contacted the BT help line and they said it must me an issue with Apple and told me to use the BT Mail app rather than Mail on my iPhone.

A solution, yes, but doesn't fix the problem.

I have checked the settings on the iPhone to the iPads. 

The iPhone shows the server port for incoming as 995 but the iPad shows 993 and for outgoing on iPhone 465 and iPads 465.

If I change the iPhone to 993 I get the message "The POP server "mail.btinternet.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Incoming Mail Server field". 

If I use 995, the emails come through in Mail but if I delete or read them this does not show as such with the emails in the BT Mail app on my iPhone nor Mail on the iPads or iMac.

Marking emails as read or deleted in the BT Mail app or Mail on the iPads or iMac is not reflected on the iPhone Mail app.

To me it looks like my iPhone is accessing a different BT server to the one the BT Mail app or Mail on the iPads or iMac are accessing.

Is this an Apple or BT issue? At the moment each is saying it is the other one's issue.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Mail not syncing with Mail on iPhone

Go to solution

Its actually neither, its a user issue.

You have configured the account as POP3 rather than IMAP. You need to delete the account and set it up again as IMAP. For some bizarre reason Apple seems to default to POP3 rather than IMAP.

I think you might have to enter an incorrect password when setting up the account in order to make it barf so that you can change from POP3 to IMAP.

I guess really its an Apple problem as much as anything for the way they have made it awkward to configure accounts as IMAP.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

That’s worked. Needn’t to input the wrong password as you suggested.

many thanks.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this deleted a mail account from your iPhone removes it from the Mail app and any other apps that use it on your device. Here's how to do it:-

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.

2. Scroll down and tap on Mail.

3. Tap on Accounts.

4. You'll see a list of all your email accounts on the iPhone. Tap the account you want to delete.

5. Now, depending on your email provider and iOS version, you might see either "Delete Account" or "Sign Out" at the bottom.

• Delete Account:- Tap this option to completely remove the account from your iPhone. This will also delete any emails stored on your device for that account.
  • Sign Out:- This option will remove the account from the Mail app but keep the emails on your device. You can still access them if you log back in later.

More details assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwk9MhUkyQ&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

0 Ratings