cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
Expert
Message 1 of 24

BT Mail occasionally bouncing back

This problem occurred a few months back and seems to be re-starting. Sender of email to me using my usual re-directed email address are sometimes getting bounce backs. It appears to be random. I know about this because since it occurred last time I'm getting copies of all these emails sent to another (Hotmail) address and they're getting through fine. BT really need to get to the bottom of this problem. Random bounce backs cannot be a good thing and cause consternation to people emailing me. PLEASE GET THIS SORTED OUT!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
ChrisB
Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Mail occasionally bouncing back

BT mail people. You're bouncing back redirects from 1&1 again. Your filters need to be changed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 24

@ChrisB wrote:
BT mail people. You're bouncing back redirects from 1&1 again. Your filters need to be changed.

Hi Chris.

Are you with BTMail or BTYahoo! ? You can check here :-

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

0 Ratings
JohnLa
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

This problem according to the internet has been going on for some 6 months or more, in varying degrees. BT needs to resolve this. I am having the same problem but only with BTINTERNET addresses with emails from my 1&1 account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@JohnLa wrote:

This problem according to the internet has been going on for some 6 months or more, in varying degrees. BT needs to resolve this. I am having the same problem but only with BTINTERNET addresses with emails from my 1&1 account.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you give some extra info regarding the messages being sent ? Do they all contain various URLs, e.g. with and/or without https ?

Is it possible to do a test with the same message, one with the URLs, and others without any - or just with a https or just a http.

This might pinpoint the issue.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 6 of 24

I'm on BT Mail (not Yahoo). My mail goes via my 1&1 email address and is then forwarded to a BT mail address. This allows me to have a personalised email address. It is plain ordinary mail and the bounce backs occur randomly. I suspect that it's filters on BT Mail that treat, occasionally, email from 1&1 as some kind of bulk mail spam. If I were guessing it will be when there's a good deal of traffic coming via 1&1 to BT addresses, hence the apparent random nature. This does not happen with plain vanilla btinternet addresses.

It happened a few months back and I thought had been sorted but it's creeping back again. I know this because I get the same mail sent to a Hotmail address that receives it all, no problems. I set this up as a defence against BT's poorly configured mail servers and I'm glad I did! BUT it is important that BT aren't let off the hook and sort this once and for all. I'd really like to talk to the email people in BT but ringing 150 doesn't let you anywhere near them hence the pleas here. Perhaps a moderator could help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

Hi again.

I'm afraid you didn't answer the question about URLs.

Do all of the bounce emails have internal website links in the email text, or is it any at random which bounce back. You say it's plain ordinary mail - does that mean no URLs in the received emails ?

There are other reports, but not a great deal - but if more came to these forums saying blocking against 1&1, then it would be helpful. It might even be the forwarding itself causing the issue - again it would affect more people.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 8 of 24

Plain ordinary means just what it says. No URLs, no fancy formatting etc. Just plain text and no HTML or anything fancy. I can't see how this can be mis-interpreted.

This is entirely a problem with BT's mail servers that they don't seem willing to sort out. It appears entirely random. You can send the same email and sometimes it gets through and sometimes it doesn't. I'm pretty sure it's BT's bulk mail handlers mis-behaving. URLs, HTML etc has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 9 of 24

This is the form the bounce back takes; I'd copied myself into the reply:-

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

The following address failed: "XXXXXX@btinternet.com": SMTP error from remote server in greeting: host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk: rgin08.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

The later header suggests it is a junk/spam mail filter at work. I have all these switched off; hence my suggestion of a bulk mail filter.

BT mail need to solve this. They shouldn't bounce legitimate mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 24

@ChrisB wrote:

Plain ordinary means just what it says. No URLs, no fancy formatting etc. Just plain text and no HTML or anything fancy. I can't see how this can be mis-interpreted.

URLs, HTML etc has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Apologies. To me a plain email could be a generic company email which might include an advert type URL at the bottom.

I agree it looks to be some form of ridiculous bulk mail blocking.

My question about added URLs was that some reports on other forums for similar issues (unrelated) were sometimes due to those added adverts for other URLs, including https ones.

Again, apologies for asking, but all bits of information like this help reduce the possibilities, and thus pinpoint the problem further.

0 Ratings