Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
saffisarah
Message 1 of 16

BT Mail or Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

I've obviously missed something along the way, but I thought BT had migrated all its Yahoo Mail users over to BT Mail.  I was told by BT this would be done last year, but I still seem to be using Yahoo?  What happened?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Mail or Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

There are countless posts on the forum with the same question. All have the same answer, the migration was put on hold for undisclosed reasons many months ago with no prospect of recommencing in the near future.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

If you do a search of the forum you will see the migration was put on indefinite hold. No reason was given by BT.

Some people were migrated prior to the hold and some were not. If you want to check what system you are own you can use this link or if you look at the logo on webmail, if it says BTYahoo you are still on Yahoo.

If it just says BT you have been migrated however going by the fact you are not sure I would suggest you are still on BTYahoo because there was a process to go through when you were migrated.

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

@saffisarah wrote:

I've obviously missed something along the way, but I thought BT had migrated all its Yahoo Mail users over to BT Mail.  I was told by BT this would be done last year, but I still seem to be using Yahoo?  What happened?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The migration was suspended in September 2014, no official reason has been given.

There is clearly a business issue surrounding the migration.

0 Ratings
edward1990
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I usually use Windows Live mail for my emails but I logged into BT Yahoo to look at Trash can for some potentially missing emails thought to be spam and was asked to change my password as BT Yahoo was changing to BT Mail ! I notice by some posts on here that was all suspended, so why am I still seeing these old messages if it is no longer the case?

I followed the old instructions and chnaged my password and  have no end of trouble since - especially with a sub-sccount that keeps asking me to verify my password. I am also constantly reminded by Windows that my BT2 Account is not up to date !

Am getting fed up with this and contacted BT via a chat line and was told BT would contact me today - I know today is not over yet but wondered if there might be a solution on here....

Any assisatnce would be much appreciated before I defect to Sky for all my calls, broadband etc......

0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I to thought years ago I migrated to BT mail when there was a security breach of Yahoo, it used to be BT Yahoo and I received an email one day saying that BT and Yahoo were separating and to stay with BT mail to follow the email link change my password etc which I did and at the top of the page it had the BT mail logo. For quite a few years now I have used Outlook as an email client so I do not have keep logging in to the email I am using Microsoft 2013 my previous version was 2007. A few weeks ago I had a send / receive error checked the settings on my PC and then went to login to BT and check the settings and was confronted by a BT Yahoo page saying an update from us Yahoo is now part of the oath group and wants to share your information with their group companies for advertising etc, I look on with suspicious as I thought I was on BT mail and had been for years, on reading through these pages I feel it contravened the GDPR (general data protection regulation) as there are no opt outs I am sure many of you will remember last spring where companies such as Google, Ebay etc were seeking permission and you could opt out of targeted advertising and other options, whereas this page says if you do not agree you cannot login. My first thought was the ICO (information commissioners office) I read through the pages and it said to contact the company concerned in the first instance before making a complaint which I did I complained using the online form which said it would contact in the next 7 days it took a bit longer but then I started receiving emails saying they were looking into my complaint. Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady with an Indian accent and I went through my complaint and I stated that I had read on the community pages that all new customers are put on BT mail and last August I renewed my agreement with BT and had a new router etc so why could I not be put back on BT mail as well. Today I have had another lady from Yahoo with an Indian accent that I found difficult to understand basically telling me that the migration from Yahoo to BT did not work and was abandoned. I replied that it worked for me as I was definitely on BT I used to be able to login to Yahoo and the account was still there but inactive. When I said I was not going to agree to the update pages as it was against the GDPR she said that it had all been before the British courts and was legal and she had the paperwork to prove it when I asked for a copy she tried to sidestep it, when I said that Yahoo has had several serious security breaches and I want to be on BT as I do not trust Yahoo she said it is not possible I replied that I was on BT mail all new customers are put onto BT mail why can I not revert back to BT mail, she replied that I do not understand the situation and she will escalate my complaint.    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

If you are on BTYahoo mail, you were never migrated to BTMail and currently never will be. As mail clients are totally agnostic to which system you are using, only by logging in to webmail would you be able to determine which system you are on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

If you were migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail you would have been informed at the time that your account had been migrated and you would have had to go through a migration procedure which if memory serves me correctly included setting up a BTID for your account and linking the email account to it.

0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I did I had an email from BT to say that there had been a security breach and BT and Yahoo were separating. I followed the link in the email set up a BT ID change my password everything that the email said. In those days I used to login to read my emails and it said BT mail at the top of the page. Now I use Outlook as an email client and I have done since about 2009 ish maybe earlier and I do not understand when or how I have migrated back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

There obviously was a security breach with Yahoo and BT did advise its customers to change their email passwords.

There were also many email scams doing the rounds at that time asking BT customers to click links to change their email passwords. 

If you were migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail you would have received a very specific email informing you that you had been migrated and it gave a specific set of instructions what you had to do to complete the migration process. You would be in no doubt that you had been migrated.

This is a copy of part of the email that you would have received if you were migrated:-

Welcome to BT Mail

Hello,

We've finished your move to the new BT Mail. As we promised, your emails are in the inbox and we've moved your folders and address book too.

BT Mail gives you fast and secure email with integrated contacts and calendar, and easy online access at bt.com. On top of that, you'll be able to:

• synchronise your email with your computer, tablet and smartphone
  • manage your email and all your BT services in one place, with My BT
  • group your emails by conversation to find what you're looking for quicker
  • preview attachments without having to download them first."

If you were migrated I doubt you will have been "migrated back". It is more likely that you were not migrated.

0 Ratings