cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT Naughty List?

I am trying to register on a weather forum http://www.wxforum.net but I'm not receiving the validation email. One of their admins has emailed me from their private address saying that their emails are getting bounced with the message:-

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

<#######@btopenworld.com>

Reason:
multiple delivery attempts failed

They suspect that their email servers have somehow got on BT's naughty list. I've tried btinternet.com with the same affect. This has been happening for over 5 days now so it doesn't appear to be timing out either.

Is there anything I can do or can someone investigate please?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Naughty List?

Hi @Thompson218 the admins of the weather forum would need to raise this with the BT postmaster.  Check out this link for more info on bulk email best practice for details on how to get this reported. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Ok, I will email the link to this thread.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@Thompson218wrote:

Ok, I will email the link to this thread.

Thanks.

I've never agreed that the postmaster should be informed, the whole mail system needs to be overhauled to work properly.

As a test, try the @btinternet.com version of the email address and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Andy_N, I don't understand your protestation. Can you clarify please.

I stated in my original post that I had tried btinternet.com without sucess.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@Thompson218wrote:

Andy_N, I don't understand your protestation. Can you clarify please.

I stated in my original post that I had tried btinternet.com without sucess.

Thanks.

Oops, sorry about missing the btinternet.com bit. (Do you have a gmail or other address you could try?)

With regard my other statement, this happens from time to time with the only issue with emails to btinternet users.

It shouldn't be down to you or the other company to go through hoops that are caused by mismanagement (in my opinion) of the mail system. All BT seem to do is perhaps whitelist single entities rather than properly investigating the cause.

If this affected other people trying to register with wxforum, then they would be doing something about it. A single ISP rejecting their emails to them would surely indicate the recipient being over zealous. I do admit that BT can use whatever blocks they wish.

Your post doesn't give any detail for the reason of failure, but it's probably an IP based block.

(It's probably too late for you to remove it, but your initial post still contains an email address in the underlying html).

0 Ratings
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Thanks, sorted with a gmail email address.

What a saga that created though. I was already using google for my contacts and calendar, but logged in with my BTO email address, I didn't have a gmail address as such. When I created one I allowed google to make the gmail address the default with the result that my Thunderbird calendar on my Windows 10 laptop (which integrated with google) stopped working and all the entries on my Asus (Android) tablet all duplicated. My phone was ok though!!

0 Ratings