Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
snoopy48
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Premium Email Logging Out 'For Security Reasons'

I've been a BT Broadband & Phone customer for many years but now only retain BT Premium Email @ £5/month.

Recently while in email, it logs out at random, even during creating a long email, 'for security reasons' and I have to navigate all way back in from scratch. Initial advice from BT was to ''use a different browser' and despite trying Edge, Chrome and Opera, the problem persisted.

I spoke to an advisor on BT Premium Mail helpline, 0808 100 6778, who confirmed that BT log people out every half hour or so 'during periods of inactivity' which I politely pointed out should not include banging out a long email. 

Apparently, I am one of the Yahoo based BT mail customers and his suggestion was that I should access BT Mail through 'mail.yahoo.com' ( as opposed to via BT.com ) and that should cure my problem as apparently Yahoo BT mail customers do not get the 'inactivity protection' ... 

Anyone else having similar problems?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Premium Email Logging Out 'For Security Reasons'

A brief perusal of the forum will reveal many complaints regarding this, unfortunately it is the way the BT webmail system now seems to operate, not just premium mail (which is a misnomer, it is not a premium product, just the normal mail system for those without a BT broadband account). You could, of course, use a free mail client such as Thunderbird or Claws mail which will not have the same problem and will provide a better interface than webmail.

0 Ratings
snoopy48
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thank you! Does using a free email client like Thunderbird retain my BT email address?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Yes, its just a different way of collecting your mail. using an 'App' rather than a web browser.  Settings can be found here

0 Ratings