Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Sub Accounts and Thunderbird

Go to solution

I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea how to set up BT sub accounts successfully on Thunderbird.

I have my main BT account (xxxx@btinternet.com) on there and it works fine. It receives all emails sent to it and all my sub account emails too.

What I want to do is add just one of my sub accounts into Thunderbird, not to receive emails, but just to send emails, because I use it for sending quite a lot. I know I could log into bt.com and send messages from there, but I would prefer to keep everything in Thunderbird.

The sub account I have set up on Thunderbird effectively acts like my main account, in so far as it also receives all my BT emails, including any emails for my other sub accounts (which are not on Thunderbird). So I end up with two sets of emails every time.

I’ve had to set Leave Messages on Server, which I would prefer not to do because if I don’t, I get issued a failed RETR command.

Both the main account and sub account are set up as POP with server name ‘mail.btinternet.com’ and using port 995. User name on the sub account I’ve set up with the ‘mybtinternet.com’ domain name.

When I changed the settings in Message Storage to route all incoming mail into the main account’s inbox, I discovered I was not then able to send emails from the sub account. I could select it, but the send fails. Furthermore the main account’s inbox was now receiving two sets of emails for anything sent to the sub-account.

What I am hoping to achieve is what Windows Live Mail does – i.e. all email goes into the main account only and yet I am able to send emails using my sub account (and copies are stored in the sub account’s Sent folder).

Sorry for this overlong explanation, but does anyone know if this is possible to do on Thunderbird?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Sub Accounts and Thunderbird

Go to solution

Thunderbird, in my opinion, is a poor email client and is very quirky in how it is configured and operates. It tends to use the same SMTP credentials for all accounts.

Why are moving away from WLM? I still use it for some accounts along with Outlook  2010 for others.

If you want to move away from WLM, have a look at Claws Mail and see if that is better for you than TBird

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Thunderbird, in my opinion, is a poor email client and is very quirky in how it is configured and operates. It tends to use the same SMTP credentials for all accounts.

Why are moving away from WLM? I still use it for some accounts along with Outlook  2010 for others.

If you want to move away from WLM, have a look at Claws Mail and see if that is better for you than TBird

When setting up TB for each account manually, each account has its own smtp settings. I have dozens of accounts in TB, and all have their own individual settings.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

But it tends to use the default account SMTP setting unless told otherwise.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

But it tends to use the default account SMTP setting unless told otherwise.

Not with manual setup actually. It adds an smtp server for each email address added, and associates it with the added email address.

Well, it does that for me anyway!

I can't answer the OPs question - other than to say keep each account different, and use the one they want to send from.

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you both for your comments. I’m afraid I’ve run out of patience with WLM. I use Firetrust’s Mailwasher to screen my emails and sort out the wheat from the chaff before importing them into my mail program. I often have to wait a minute or two before Mailwasher has retrieved everything from the BT Mail Server. Then when I use WLM, I invariably have to wait a further minute or two while WLM is ‘authorising’. Thunderbird, on the other hand, fetches in my mail immediately.

Yes I must admit I have been struggling with working out how to configure Thunderbird, hence my post. Thanks for the heads up re Claws Mail, licquorice: that might be one to bear in mind.

However, I think I’ve have at last managed to get TB to do what I want. It was what you said, Andy, about having a separate SMTP for each account that flicked a switch in my poor fevered brain. I also remembered reading something on here (while I was looking for a solution to my specific problem) that Keith Beddoe had said about giving a unique name to each account’s SMTP. At the time I didn’t know exactly what he meant and how to do this, but when I clicked on Manage Identities in TB, I found I was able to edit the SMTP name on my sub account. I then replaced the server name mail.btinternet.com with my new name and pressed OK. Much to my surprise I didn’t get an error!

Thank you again very much for your input. I consider this now solved.

0 Ratings