cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 13

BT Survey email, Real or Scam?

I received this email today from a company called Populus claiming to be on behalf of BT, is it real or is it a scam?

RealOrScam.jpg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Survey email, Real or Scam?

No idea, but why take a chance.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13

No reason, I'm just raising awareness. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before others start to get the same message

ChrisB
Expert
Message 4 of 13

If it is really from Populus (https://www.populus.co.uk/) they are a legitimate market research company so it seems likely to me that this may well be real. Make sure you check that any links go to Populus mind you.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13

@ChrisBwrote:

If it is really from Populus (https://www.populus.co.uk/) they are a legitimate market research company so it seems likely to me that this may well be real. Make sure you check that any links go to Populus mind you.

Thanks Chris. I won't be bothering anyway, take a look at this bit:-

"If chosen for the second part of the research, this will be a 60-minute telephone interview"

Staying indoors in line with current government guidelines or not, you can watch a lot of paint dry in 60 minutes

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

... or better still just delete it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Without being too synical, I would dismiss the survey, on the grounds of a form of self justification on the senders existence. Perhaps good intention on the senders behalf.....but not in present times.

Moggy56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I also received from Populus today with the following

"As a thank you for giving up your time you’ll receive a thank you of £75 for completing the first part of the task, the online community. If chosen for the second part of the research, you’ll receive a thank you of £50 for the 60-minute telephone interview."

No thank you, very suspicious.......

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@Moggy56wrote:

I also received from Populus today with the following

"As a thank you for giving up your time you’ll receive a thank you of £75 for completing the first part of the task, the online community. If chosen for the second part of the research, you’ll receive a thank you of £50 for the 60-minute telephone interview."

No thank you, very suspicious.......

The promise of cash incentives makes this extremely sinister.  Presumably, if BT were really anxious for a good survey return via a third party, they'd send an introductory message first to establish their legitimacy.  Clearly such a message would have to withstand proper scrutiny in itself.

0 Ratings
newagetraveller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I too received this e-mail yesterday.

It has been forwarded to phishing@bt.com because it looks to be very suspicious. Not even personally addressed as most scam/phishing e-mails are.

It was sent to my BT account log in e-mail address and, if genuine, that address can only have been provided by BT. Very naughty if it has!

Full of "links" to click including an "unsubscribe" link. No intention of clicking on any, including the unsubscibe. "Free" money, sure thing, if it looks too good to be true etc..

It would be good if someone from BT would comment on this, if only to confirm one way or the other.

0 Ratings