Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT WIFI stopping me sending e-mails

Go to solution

I am unable to send e-mails via BT wifi although receiving e-mails ok. I can send if I turn off wifi. This on all devices - iphone, ipad and windows10 PC.

I tend to get this periodically but this time it has now been two days since I have been able to send an e-mail via wifi.

The message I get is that my user id or password is wrong but as I can send my e-mails via BTinternet.com if I turn off the wifi this is obviously wrong.

Anything I can do other than keep waiting for it to sort itself out? 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT WIFI stopping me sending e-mails

Go to solution

DO NOT at this point change any passwords or delete the account from any of your devices. This can be a server problem and when it happens it can sort its self out in a day or two.

How are you using your email, is it with a web browser or are you using an email client/app?

When you turn off your wifi presumably you are then using 3 or 4g and are you still sending your email in the same method as when it doesn't work on wireless or are you using a different method, ie on a browser if you were previously using an email client/app?

0 Ratings
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for your very prompt response. I use Microsoft Office Outlook for my mail on my computer and whatever Apple uses for mail on my iPhone, therefore not a web based mail system.

You are correct in that it is when

0 Ratings
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for your very prompt response. I use Microsoft Office Outlook for my mail on my computer and whatever Apple uses for mail on my iPhone, therefore not a web based mail system.

You are correct in that it is when I use 4G that I manage to send e-mails.

I did get a few breaks during the day yesterday when wifi did send my mail but it was on and off.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

If when the problem occurs you can not send using wireless and you immediately switch to 4g and have no problems sending and receiving with 4G there would appear to be nothing wrong with your email account and password.

Is your W10 computer connected by wireless and Ethernet. Does the email send and receive OK if you use only the Ethernet connection.

Does your email send and receive OK if you log onto your email account using a web browser. 

When the problem occurs do any of your devices drop the wireless connection in as much as you can not use the Internet.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to work out what is happening because it seems weird that you would only be prevented from sending emails on wifi if it all works OK on 4g and Ethernet. 

0 Ratings
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

My computer is only connected via WIFI and the WIFI signal is strong.

I also do not use web browsers for e-mail - only with Microsoft Outlook on my PC and Apple mail on my phone.

At no time do I loose WIFI connection - I can always get incoming mail. Being unable to send e-mails is an intermittent problem sometimes lasting days, sometimes just hours. Sometimes I can go months without a problem and then I have problems day after day. I have tried switching off devices and on again but it makes no difference. 

If sending mail from my phone and I have mail that 'cannot be sent' and which then sits in my outbox and I switch to 4G it is sent immediately from my outbox without me having to resend.

Looking through problems that other people have had, this seems to have been a problem for some time with BT mail but I could not find any recent issues with it or any solutions.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

There has been an ongoing issue about this problem but to my knowledge  when it happens to a user it happens on both their wired or wireless connection and on 4g which would appear not to be the case with you.

Unfortunately I can not offer any help other than the usual advice it to do nothing other than wait for it to resolve its self because it has been found that changing passwords or reinstalling the email client/app can cause more problems than it solves.

When it next happens can you log onto your email account via a browser and see if you can send and receive using that.

0 Ratings
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I still have not resolved this. I called BT and the first level of support could not help and referred me to the second level of support who thought it was a problem with Microsoft Outlook and that the configuration on my iPhone was wrong. He was going to phone me back to fix my iPhone but never did!

I then spent 2 hours on web chat with Microsoft and they could not understand the problem and I have now been referred to their second level support and am awaiting a return call.

However, I am convinced it is a BT server issue as very occasionally the outgoing messages are actually delivered. If I log in to BT mail I can send e-mails OK - that is the only platform that seems to work consistently.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

When at home and your phone is connected by wireless, the only part of your Internet connection that is different to an Ethernet connection is between your phone an the BT hub/router.

If nothing loses connection and everything works by Ethernet and all your other devices work correctly and the emails get sent ok when you go on 4g I can not see how it is a problem with your email account.

If it was a BT server issue you would get the problem on all methods of connection not just by wireless.

This is a long shot but can you try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
ValerieG
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I think you have cracked it! I have done the factory reset of the hub and so far it is looking good and I am able to send e-mails. I will leave it until the end of day before closing this just to make sure it continues to work.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings