Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT Web client - Constantly Logging out

Go to solution

BT Web Mail client  constantly logging out after about 2 minutes even when I am actively using the service.  Just started happening within the last week.  Is this a known fault or is there a workaround?  Using a mail client an issue as email history is not copied to local PC for browsing.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Web client - Constantly Logging out

Go to solution

@ghs wrote:

Using a mail client an issue as email history is not copied to local PC for browsing.

If you set your email client up as an IMAP account it will replicate all your folders and emails that are held on the BT servers and they would be available for browsing on your local PC.

As regards the logging out problem, try clearing your browser's history and cookies using the "from all time" option if your browser has that option.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for reply, sorted email client, it was already an IMAP account, discovered it was a setting in the client account to only download 3 months of data. I can extend this to a longer period 🙂

The issue with the Web client still exists even after clearing browser history and cookies. As well as Chrome I also tried Edge but same problem exists with both browsers, the timeout seems to be 4 minutes regardless if I am actively using the service or not.

Also, now getting '..token expired..' message on my IPhone using the BT Email App requiring a new login each time - are these issues related ? As an aside, BT Mail app never updates automatically nor displays badges despite setting for Fetch every 15 mins.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I suggest you delete the BT Mail app and us a proper app instead, I can recommend Blue Mail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I've been having issues with constantly being logged out of webmail too, even sometimes when I'm in the middle of writing a message. It comes and goes, both on the pc and tablet versions, sometimes after just a couple of minutes whereas other times I stay logged in over night, even after having shut the pc down.

A chatbot agent last weekend told me that BT had made the change as "they were listening to customers' requests", which was ironic as one of the things mentioned in the video that went out along with the "upgrade" was that they had responded to people's desire to stay logged in for longer! She suggested I clear my browsing history and set my browser security level to low. I was wary of doing the latter, so I phoned the Premium Mail helpline afterwards and was then told that BT hadn't actively changed anything, and that apart from not doing anything to solve the problem, changing my security level was dangerous - great! He suggested that I reset my router as it could be an issue with a software upgrade on that. In the end, I didn't bother as I realised that I was having the problem on my tablet as well as my pc, and that it was happening everywhere I used it and not just when I was using my own internet connection. Yet another mess from good old BT, and it doesn't inspire confidence to get conflicting, and possibly dangerous, advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@DavidB2wrote:

I've been having issues with constantly being logged out of webmail too, even sometimes when I'm in the middle of writing a message. It comes and goes, both on the pc and tablet versions, sometimes after just a couple of minutes whereas other times I stay logged in over night, even after having shut the pc down.

A chatbot agent last weekend told me that BT had made the change as "they were listening to customers' requests", which was ironic as one of the things mentioned in the video that went out along with the "upgrade" was that they had responded to people's desire to stay logged in for longer! She suggested I clear my browsing history and set my browser security level to low. I was wary of doing the latter, so I phoned the Premium Mail helpline afterwards and was then told that BT hadn't actively changed anything, and that apart from not doing anything to solve the problem, changing my security level was dangerous - great! He suggested that I reset my router as it could be an issue with a software upgrade on that. In the end, I didn't bother as I realised that I was having the problem on my tablet as well as my pc, and that it was happening everywhere I used it and not just when I was using my own internet connection. Yet another mess from good old BT, and it doesn't inspire confidence to get conflicting, and possibly dangerous, advice.

I'm afraid the advice you were given is incorrect. There is a known issue of auto logging out in v2.18.1.  For some reason, when logging in today, v2.17.4 is being used, and I have had no such logging out issue with it, logged in this morning and have been on all day without any issue. BT are aware of it, and I feel confident it'll be fixed soon.Maybe the reversion to an older software version is some sort of testing?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Software-version-going-backwards-what-the/td-p/2105860

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I have the same problem with being logged out, sometimes in the middle of writing an email. It started happening a couple of weeks ago, I would say October, or even end of September maybe.

It is very, very frustrating and make it almost impossible to work with.

Additionally, after the upgrade it looks like all my distribution lists have been deleted / removed. It is really pity it has been upgraded. It is very painful to use now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@talk21_customerwrote:

I have the same problem with being logged out, sometimes in the middle of writing an email. It started happening a couple of weeks ago, I would say October, or even end of September maybe.

It is very, very frustrating and make it almost impossible to work with.

Additionally, after the upgrade it looks like all my distribution lists have been deleted / removed. It is really pity it has been upgraded. It is very painful to use now.

I'm surprised you are still experiencing this issue. I was the first to report this issue on this forum, and it only started with the release of v2.18.1 of WebMail. Yesterday, they upgraded to v2.18.2 which totally solved this issue for me, allowing a morning login and staying logged in right through till the evening, very robust. What version of WebMail are you on? (have a look at the address bar when logged in to find out)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Ha, it was v2.18.1 yesterday but is v2.18.2 this morning - will monitor today, hopefully back to normal.

Thanks for the update

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Life is good again, seems to be back to normal with no log outs today.

Thanks to all

0 Ratings