cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 351 of 403

Re: BT Webmail Feedback v2 (post 16th April release)

When I am composing an email on my pc, I am suddenly logged out and faced with a full page BT add, takes ages to log back in to continue. Also the curser randomly jumps to the top of the email so I am typing in the wrong place. Most frustrating. The old BT email worked fine.

Message 352 of 403

@HCW1965  

I raised the problem of sessions being terminated in message 149 of this thread and @Groo has the same situation (message 348). 

Other customers have mentioned it in threads that the mods might not read.

@NickBS please can you tell us, is this being investigated by the email dev team? 

Message 353 of 403

@NickBS It all seems to have gone very quiet at your end, can you give us an update please?

Message 354 of 403

Yes, @PeteTH , cloud based storage is useful for e-mails and other content as long as users are not fully dependant on it. Consider that one day you can't access your e-mails because BT (or some other e-mail provider) has locked you out of your account and you have difficulty proving who you are because that 2FA mobile number or alternative e-mail address they have for you are out of date and inaccessible to you. And I'm not sure of the contractual position regarding the BT e-mail service. There will be some legal recourse if they are your ISP and there's a problem with Internet access but I'm unclear if this includes the provision of an e-mail service and what happens if they lose all of your e-mails. ISPs have traditionally provided an e-mail service but it's not a revenue earner hence the mess of adverts on many of the free webmail pages.

And note there's no export mechanism provided by BT to save your e-mails to a local device as a backup except one at a time. If you're no longer a BT customer how would you ensure access to all of your old e-mails except through the use of an e-mail client such as Thunderbird and IMAP (which provides full synchronisation of all folders which will remain on your device regardless of access to the Internet or failure to access the BT server/account)? You can pay them around £7 per month but you're still vulnerable to loss or problems with your account.

So webmail access and cloud storage only is fine and dandy but without some way to create an off-line backup of some kind I would be nervous if there's anything important in those e-mails that I might want to refer back to.

Message 355 of 403

Yes, @rolluprob , you make a good point. A client program using IMAP certainly requires disk space (the webmail main page helps out here by showing, as a guideline, how much space is currently being used) and, if there is a lot, it may take quite some time to perform the initial synchronisation.

But after that, you can be more comfortable in the knowledge that your e-mails are stored locally as well as in the cloud. If Thunderbird can no longer access the BT e-mail server because your account has been closed or is inaccessible or there's been some data loss at their end, your e-mails are still accessible via the client. And you can further back them up to an external drive or memory stick through a standard 'Save as' function (to EML files) or by using the good downloadable extension 'ImportExportTools NG' which provides more export options.

BT provide no export/backup tools except for saving one e-mail at a time!

Message 356 of 403

FireFox updated recently, v115.12.0, still no difference to WebMail though I never expected there would be.

Typing an email in BT v 3.5.0 is still like trying to run through a swimming pool full of treacle. It is so not a browser issue as when I switched to Chrome, exactly the same symptoms exist. I just typed a full 12 word sentence, and sat back and watched it type on screen in slow motion, quite entertaining though frustrating !

Still, I'm sure there's a dedicated hard working team studying the cause as we speak 🤣

Message 357 of 403

And another thing...

I notice that if I want to Move an email to a mail sub-folder, it is impossible.  The sub-folder disappears from the list of options as soon as I try to pick it!  I can move to a folder, but not to a sub-folder.

0 Ratings
Message 358 of 403

Hi Robert James, 

The only way I can do this is by using the mouse pad, touch screen doesn't work for it on my laptop. Haven't tried it on Btapp yet. 

0 Ratings
Message 359 of 403

Just used WebMail to send an email, on pressing, 'send', got this (eventually). Keep up the great work BT, I'm sure you'll get there in the end...  🤣

BT error.jpg

Message 360 of 403

@Stephen5000 

re Message 356: Fortunately I've never experienced any slowdown when typing in BT webmail.

Also, re your Message 359: the screenshot is rather confusing.  I tried to respond clicking "OK"!