Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

BT Yahoo Account Hacked

As advised, I am starting a new thread.

I have now had my online BT Yahoo Account hacked. I know this because 3 spam emails were in my BT Yahoo online Outbox. These emails were sent to my online contacts address book.

The emails show that someone using the IP Address 78.183.216.118 (Turkey) sent these emails from my online account at a particular time.

There was an additional email address added to each email. This was scklweorpkwpokwerpko@mail.com

I received some of these spam emails retuned undelivered.

I have extensively checked my computer for trojans, viruses etc. and it is clean. I also keep programs updated.

Having done some research,

1. I see that scklweorpkwpokwerpko@mail.com has been used when hacking other people online Yahoo accounts.

2. Another thing in common is that the message ID contains .BPMail_high_noncarrier@

3. The email Subject is often 'Hi'.

4. It seems MarryN has had the same thing happen to her online Yahoo email account and the hacker used the same IP Address:

http://help.yahoo.com/communities/index?page=forums&topic=9de1484948674969aea33daaef3cb537&messageit...

How can we make BT Yahoo aware of this problem, to take it very seriously, and to fix it as it seems to be a weakness in Yahoo accounts rather than peoples computers.

Expert

Re: BT Yahoo Account Hacked

Chris,

I wonder if you can give us some details of the content of the spam email. If a recipient is using Outlook Express then they can SAFELY look at it by right clicking on it in their inbox,  clicking on properties,  select the details tab, then click on message source.  If they then do a select all, copy, they can paste it into an email.

Ideally if you could get it into a PM to send to me I would be most grateful.

I ask because the email is the normal method for spreading this type of Hack and it would be useful to see if it uses the same mechanism as before or has become more sophisticated. 

Have you been able to identify when and how you were hit by this ?   

I would be surprised if BTYahoo are not aware of this but find it incredible that they have not warned their customers of the issue.  It is also surprising that it appears to be hitting so few customers so maybe they think they do not need to bother.   The more information we have of the nature of the threat, the better the chance of getting something done about it. 

Aspiring Contributor

Hi Chris

You are not alone, I had this problem back in April, At the time I didn't realise it was caused by an e-mail, as I was  having problems with Yahoo. I also used Outlook Express.

After spending a month trying to sort Yahoo out and clean my computer,  I eventually wiped Yahoo off my computer, and downloaded another browser. Internet Explorer.  

While  this was going on I  was also getting lots of spam, I remember those  e-mails that started with HI.

Not long after this,  something corrupted the intray in my Outlook Express e-mail program,  I couldn't receive any e-mails, the only  e-mail coming in, was from Amazon, this set up  a continuous loop, when it got to 45  I wiped Outlook Express off my computer, I'm now with Hotmail.

I've now got a new computer,  Yahoo and  Outlook Express, are not coming anywhere near it. 

Recognised Expert

There have been several different websites (that we know of) hacked in the last year where users passwords have been stolen. Do you use the same password for your BT internet account as you do for any other website or service?

Expert

minusdot wrote:

There have been several different websites (that we know of) hacked in the last year where users passwords have been stolen. Do you use the same password for your BT internet account as you do for any other website or service?

Personal experience is that hacking of Yahoo Mail (NOT BT Yahoo Mail) accounts is common in USA.

Their solution is to change the Yahoo Mail account password to something more complex, at least 8 characters in length, involving uppercase, lowercase letters, numbers etc.

It seems to work for them, and I don't receive junk from their accounts. You can trace the origin of junk mail, to a point , from Outlook and Outlook Express, and then notify the account user that he has been hacked.

Changing the password is the first simple step, and it usually works.

If the hack is more sophisticated, (uncommon), then you have no choice but to create a new account.

Guru

white-dragon wrote:

Hi Chris

You are not alone, I had this problem back in April, At the time I didn't realise it was caused by an e-mail, as I was  having problems with Yahoo. I also used Outlook Express.

After spending a month trying to sort Yahoo out and clean my computer,  I eventually wiped Yahoo off my computer, and downloaded another browser. Internet Explorer.  

While  this was going on I  was also getting lots of spam, I remember those  e-mails that started with HI.

Not long after this,  something corrupted the intray in my Outlook Express e-mail program,  I couldn't receive any e-mails, the only  e-mail coming in, was from Amazon, this set up  a continuous loop, when it got to 45  I wiped Outlook Express off my computer, I'm now with Hotmail.

I've now got a new computer,  Yahoo and  Outlook Express, are not coming anywhere near it. 

How do you mean you downloaded Internet Explorer ? A PC comes with that automatically (as well as Outlook Express). It sounds like you're prehaps referring to a computer that may have had an installation of bolt-ons as part of the initial installed package.

Yahoo "browser" and Outlook Express are not the cause of spam, and frankly unless you "replied" to a spam email or installed something, perhaps didn't have up to date operating system, or no anti-virus or other security package, the the cause of your issue could have been nothing to do with the emails.

Outlook Express is not available for Windows 7, so will not be available anyway.

Without knowing the details of the problem, your issue with OE and receipt of emails could have been a numbers of things. Using a hotmail account doesn't actually do anything to prevent spam etc.

What account was getting lots of spam ? Do you still check it now ?

Hi Chris,

I too have recently had my account hacked and some of my contacts have recieved spam e-mails.

Are there any other security implications I should be aware of after this hacking as I`m imagining that someone out there has spent hours reading my e-mails and gathering all sorts of sensitive information. Gulp!

I look forward to hearing from you and any other contributors.

Thanks,

Mark.