cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cameron
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

BT Yahoo Adverts

I wish to complain about the adverts that come up every time I check my BT email. While it is obvoius to me that a lot of these adverts are fake, click bait, or fake news stories, in the past I have just ignored them as a minor annoyance.

However, recently these fake, click bait, "news" stories are showing photoshopped fake photographs of celebrities looking more than a bit worse for ware, and I would rather not have to look at these images every time I go to check my email. 

I have looked, but cannot find, any way to turn these adverts off, so if someone on BTs end could sort this out one way or the other, it would be most appreciated.

Regards, Cameron

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Yahoo Adverts

I don't see any adverts, oh wait, I don't use a web browser I use a mail client.

Have you tried installing an ad-blocker add-on for your browser?

Cameron
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

I have used a mail client in the past, well about 20 years ago, who wants the hassle of setting up one of those? I don't. I live in the present.

As for ad blockers, have you considered the content and software developers (such as myself) that might rely on revenue from (real) adverts for their income? I find it troubling that this is being suggested as a solution.

BT should just end their contract with whoever is producing these fake adverts, or provide a way to turn them off, on what is, after all, a paid service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Cameron wrote:

I have used a mail client in the past, well about 20 years ago, who wants the hassle of setting up one of those? I don't. I live in the present. Do you use a mobile device? If so what do you use on that, is it by any chance an email client/app?

As for ad blockers, have you considered the content and software developers (such as myself) that might rely on revenue from (real) adverts for their income? I find it troubling that this is being suggested as a solution. As a software developer you must be aware that an adblocker stops the adds being seen by individuals who do not want to see any adds on what is after all, a paid service!

BT should just end their contract with whoever is producing these fake adverts, or provide a way to turn them off, on what is, after all, a paid service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Cameron
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

@gg30340wrote:

@Cameronwrote:

I have used a mail client in the past, well about 20 years ago, who wants the hassle of setting up one of those? I don't. I live in the present. Do you use a mobile device? If so what do you use on that, is it by any chance an email client/app?

Yes, I use the Yahoo Mail app, this doesn't have the same problem as the web based service.

As for ad blockers, have you considered the content and software developers (such as myself) that might rely on revenue from (real) adverts for their income? I find it troubling that this is being suggested as a solution. As a software developer you must be aware that an adblocker stops the adds being seen by individuals who do not want to see any adds on what is after all, a paid service!

A lot of software/games and most websites are free to use, and generate income from advertising. 

A lot of questions, any answers? Maybe I should just post Gordon Ramsey the picture of him they are showing, and he can shout and swear a lot at whoever is responsible Smiley Very Happy 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@Cameron wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

@Cameronwrote:

A lot of questions, any answers? Maybe I should just post Gordon Ramsey the picture of him they are showing, and he can shout and swear a lot at whoever is responsible Smiley Very Happy 

Yes. Use an email client which as you will know as you use one on your mobile device easy to set up and has no adverts.

0 Ratings