cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

BT Yahoo DEA Closure April 2020 & Login Failures of BT Additional Mail Addresses

On the 16th December 2020 I received an E Mail from BT stating that "We're closing our disposable email address service" from April 2020.  I have a Standard BT Yahoo Mail account and have over 80 DEAs which I need to re-assign to one of up to 11 e mail addresses that my account allows me to create.

[For more information and help with how to view your DEAs, visit www.bt.com/dea-closure ]

I have created additional e mail addresses with different passwords which are also different from that used with by BT ID (remember this as it is important) as you might expect taking into account password security recommendations.

All the additional e mail addresses work fine when I Logon to each account using Webmail but NONE of them work when I use an e mail client with either POP3 or IMAP settings.  I have checked on a Windows 10 PC with Outlook 2016, Samsung Android Tablet using APPS Outlook, G Mail & Samsung Mail, Motorola Smartphone using APPS Outlook & G Mail.  In the settings for each account I have tried using the password setup for each individual e mail address and also the password for the BT ID but none of these are accepted by the BT Mail Server at login.

I have checked the mail account settings using the web based Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer where you can test POP3 or IMAP logon settings and are given an XML file with details of the test and whether it is successful.  All BT Mail addresses failed except for my original e mail account which is aligned to the BT ID.

I have been trying since December 2019 to resolve the issue and have reported it to BT who after many telephone calls booked me in for the  technical team to contact me at 8pm yesterday but I didn't receive any call.  Those persons I spoke to didn't know what DEAs meant.  I would have thought that all the call centre staff would have been briefed on the topic after the closure notice e mail had been sent.

I have now found the reason why none of the e mail accounts will work.  Every e mail account that is created within a BT ID must have the same password as that used for the BT ID Logon itself (except for those given to Family & Friends) which are managed separately by the person to whom you have given the mail address.  This goes against all  password security advice including that given by UK National Cyber Security Centre.

Having worked for BT many years ago on quite complex systems I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed and why the problem with using the same password for multiple accounts hasn't been recognised as poor practive as none of it is really difficult stuff and if an old retired engineer like me can find the problem then anyone should be able to sort it out.

Please will someone in BT get this fixed so we can all have more secure mail logons.

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Yahoo DEA Closure April 2020 & Login Failures of BT Additional Mail Addresses

I have no idea why you think that is the case, I have multiple BTYahoo email addresses under a BTID and all have different passwords.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: BT Yahoo DEA Closure April 2020 & Login Failures of BT Additional Mail Addresses

They will be unmerged addresses....

As soon as your email address is merged with the BTID it will take on the same password for both services. Any email address given to friends and family will have separate passwords as they are managed by a third party but as soon as they create their own BTID it will be merged and the password for their email will remain the same as their subsidiary BTID.

I personally like to have separate passwords for all services which is why I haven't set up my BTID yet, despite how often the support staff request that I do so

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

No, only the primary address and BTID passwords are linked, other addresses managed by the BTID can have different passwords.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

@Chris_J_Cwrote:

I have now found the reason why none of the e mail accounts will work.  Every e mail account that is created within a BT ID must have the same password as that used for the BT ID Logon itself (except for those given to Family & Friends)

Can you say how you came to the conclusion for your suggested reason for password issues?

You actually said that you can login to each one with webmail, each having a different password - so how does that relate to them needing to all have the same password?

The thing to do is to sort out one of your new emails at a time. There has been an issue with sync passwords between webmail and client access for many many years. Try changing the password on one of the accounts only, wait at least 20 minutes to an hour before trying access via an app/client. If the app/client has already been set up - stop it from auto-checking, and possibly even remove the account from the device. (Password sync has taken a few hours for some users).

When this one account has hopefully been added, go onto the next one.

In my view, your best bet was to actually use non BTinternet email addresses, and use something else like multiple Gmail accounts. You will be far better off, and if moving ISPs, you will not be tied to ISP email addresses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Confusion arises because when you log in to MyBT using your BTID password it is possible to log in to email directly without entering a further password. If, however, you log in to email directly rather than via MyBT, the email address password is required and can be different for each address associated with a BTID.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 15

You are very lucky and I would be happy if my account worked as yours does. My 'solution' is only a temporary workaround until someone in BT can fix the problem or I can fix it myself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 15

The email address merged with the BT ID has the same password as it was the only way I could get it to work many years ago when I had to change the Login details to use an email as previously I could use a Username rather than an email address to Login. All comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 15

Further to your first message I agree with you that is how it should work but my account doesn't ! It may be that in transferring the account from previous generations of BT Yahoo / BT Openworld that something has got corrupted and needs some attention. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 15

You are correct and by logging into each one separately different passwords work, which is what I called 'webmail', but seem to fail when trying to use an email client such as Outlook POP3 or IMAP on a Windows 10 PC or Android Tablet or Phone.
0 Ratings