Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete31
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

BT Yahoo Disposable Address

Go to solution

Today logging into email, go a pop-up warning me that BT is about to pull the plug on my BT Yahoo email account.

Will my BT Yahoo disposable addresses (about 100 of them) still work?

If not, I will stop receiving mails from many companies and businesses. Potentially I may be locked out of being able to access those services.

It seems a DANGEROUS move to me.

Can anyone offer any reassurance on how these disposable addresses can be accessed going forwards?

Regards,

Peter

25 REPLIES 25
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT Yahoo Disposable Address

Go to solution

Hmm I never got the same pop up on my yahoo but then again they don't show it all at once. Are you able to share a screenshot of this masking any other private details?

Regarding disposable addresses - this is likely to go as BT Mail closed disposable addresses just last month. 

This is annoying if you have loads but best advice is to start from now and start updating with new addresses. Yahoo are likely to close it this year observing the trend of changes on email. They only have to give you 30 days notice...

winner6060
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

I have got the exact same question and concerns (saw the popup today.) I have used BT Yahoo disposable emails for years, to filter my email from various sources.

Some of my 'disposable email' addresses are now effectively my main email addresses and have been so for many years. If disposable email addresses are to be scrapped, countless individuals and businesses will no longer be able to contact me, and I will quite possibly be locked out of various services.

Can someone from BT please confirm exactly what is going on here?

winner6060
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

@New_To_UK 

I sincerely hope that we don't get only '30 days notice,' given the significant issues it will cause. 

All I have seen so far is a vague 'popup.' I have received no real communication regarding any proposed changes from BT whatsover!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Are you sure that the pop up you have is not just telling you that you can no longer access/logon to your BTYahoo email by logging in through the Yahoo logon portal and that you must now use the BTMail log on portal?

If that is what you have seen all it means is that your logon is via a different route, not that your BTYahoo email account is going to be deleted.

As regards the disposable email addresses. BT announced a while back that they were going to stop the disposable email addresses. The have already done this for the BTMail email accounts.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57486/c/7339

I would suggest that you start making changes now so that you are not "caught out" when the end date is announced.

Highlighted
winner6060
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

@gg30340

I personally have never received any notification from BT by email or letter telling me that they plan to withdraw my multiple disposable email addresses that I've used for over a decade.

My email is probably more important to me than my phone. I have built up over 10 years of email contacts, for a wide variety of acquaintances, businesses, online services etc. For my multiple disposable email addresses to simply 'disappear' would be a disaster - it would have far more impact than cutting off my phone line!

We really need to know exactly what BT is planning here. I amazed a paying customer of decades, that currently I don't have a clue what is going to happen to my valuable email!?

Any ideas how we can find out? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

I doubt you will get any more information that what has been provided in the link I posted.

When they stopped the disposable email addresses on the BTMail system they sent out an email about 10 months before they made any changes telling the email account holder that the disposable email was going to stop in the future then about six months later they sent out another email giving the date when it was going to happen then one month after that the disposable email addresses function stopped. The email could still be read for a month or so after that then the account was deleted.

Copy of the email.

Hello,
We got in touch in August 2018 about closing our disposable email address service. It's part of our work to upgrade and improve the overall email service we offer you.
Since then you might have still been getting emails to your disposable accounts, but they'll stop from 31 May 2019.
Which addresses are affected?
xxxxxxx
To view all your DEAs, follow the instructions here at bt.com/dea-closure
What happens next?
If you're using these email addresses, you'll need to update your contact details with an alternative email address before 31 May to make sure you keep receiving your communications.
For more information on this change, have a look at bt.com/dea-closure
Best wishes, 
The BT team
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

I found the email that I received in August.

We're closing our disposable email address service
Hello,
We wanted to let you know that from January 2019 we're stopping our disposable email address service. We know that might not be the best news for you but it's all part of our work to upgrade and improve the overall email service we offer you.
Which addresses are affected?

To view all your DEAs, follow the instructions here at www.bt.com/dea-closure
What happens next?
From 25 September 2018, you'll no longer be able to send emails from those email addresses. And we're planning to stop the entire disposable email address services in January 2019.
Between now and then you'll still be able to receive emails to those addresses. If you have used them as a contact address for bills or other notifications to organisations 
you need to update an alternative address on their websites as soon as possible.
For more information on this change, please go to www.bt.com/dea-closure
Thanks,
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Are you sure that the pop up stated that your BTYahoo account was closing and was not just what I posted in my first message?

EDIT: I have asked the moderators of the forum to provide some clarity with what is happening. Once they have replied I'll post back with any further information.

Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

Are you sure that the pop up stated that your BTYahoo account was closing and was not just what I posted in my first message?

EDIT: I have asked the moderators of the forum to provide some clarity with what is happening. Once they have replied I'll post back with any further information.

I think you mean the pop-up was referring to stopping the login to webmail access via a mail.yahoo.com url - which is on another recent thread too.

I get the pop-up when I bookmark the url after logging into (BTYahoo) webmail - and then trying to login via the saved url. The url starts https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders