Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT Yahoo Disposable Address

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

I think you mean the pop-up was referring to stopping the login to webmail access via a mail.yahoo.com url - which is on another recent thread too.

Which is what I posted in my first message in this thread:-

"Are you sure that the pop up you have is not just telling you that you can no longer access/logon to your BTYahoo email by logging in through the Yahoo logon portal and that you must now use the BTMail log on portal?

If that is what you have seen all it means is that your logon is via a different route, not that your BTYahoo email account is going to be deleted".

The confusion seems to be that the OP has stated that he was informed that "BT is about to pull the plug on my BT Yahoo email account" which is different from what the other thread said.

0 Ratings
Pete31
Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

Here's the screenshot:

BT Mail Pop-up.pngBT Mail Pop-Up

We're changing how you access your email

We're in the process of upgrading our email service. Soon, you won't be able to get to your emails from Yahoo.com any more.

To make sure you can still access your email whenever you need to, please bookmark www.bt.com/mail. We'll let you know when your email's switching from Yahoo to BT.com.

Some of the replies suggest that I misunderstood the pop up. Indeed that may  be the case.

Nevertheless it still sounds quite threatening, quote:  "you won't be able to get to your emails from Yahoo.com" and  "your email's switching from Yahoo to BT.com".

It seems pretty clear to me. My email is switchng from Yahoo to BT.  I know this has been an ongoing process for years. BT notified me about this several years ago, but then it didn't happen. It just seems confusion and chaos is the norm when it comes to the email service.

The solution, I realise is to not use either BT mail or Yahoo mail, but to switch to another provider.

However, I would like a proper period of notice, not just some vague pop-up with no idea of timescales.

0 Ratings
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

This happened to me , probably about a year ago, maybe less with one of the e-mail addresses I have linked to the main account, that did get migrated all those years ago. It had remained with BTYahoo. There is no problem in this with disposable addresses, I can still create them on that account if I want so there shouldn't be any need to panic. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

I got that notification as well and I thought it was telling me that the way I access my email is changing not that I am being moved from the old BTYAHOO email to the newer BT MAIL

as far as I am aware the migration form BTYAHOO to BTMAIL is still on hold indefinitely

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Pete31
Contributor
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks @imjolly , I appreciate your input.

I think maybe I found the message ambiguous at least. At any rate I do feel reassured now.

Thanks again - for all the replies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

The preferred access to whatever flavour of email that BT provide has always been via BT .com (or mail.btinternet.com server for mail clients) and will always work regardless of provider BT use for their mail system. Access to BTYahoo mail accounts via the vanilla Yahoo login has always been a backdoor and not the approved method of access.

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

The popup is nonsense.  I am already using bt.com/mail to get my mail.

2019-06-30 193312 BT popup.png

MANY years ago BT told us they were planning to swap us all from BT Yahoo to BTMail, but they had such enormous trouble with it that after a year or so they gave up.  My account remained as it was, but I lost my Flickr account. At the time, we were assured that our disposable emails could be recreated in BTMail.  It is so long ago I cannot even find it on this community.

Once it all died down, and the threat of losing Yahoo went, I continued to use my disposable addresses.  I already had a hundred or so.

For several years, my route to access my BT Yahoo emails ON MY COMPUTER has been via the BT.com home page and clicking email.  On my Android phone and tablet, the route is the Yahoo app.  I've had no suggestion on Android whatsoever of that being removed.  The only notification is this pop up ON MY PC telling me I won't be able to get my emails from Yahoo.com any more.  BUT I haven't been doing so on my PC, so the pop up is nonsense.

Even more stupid, I have just logged in to my email on Yahoo.com, and that has no warning/suggestion/popup about being unable to access it in this way in future.  So the only people getting the popup are those who are getting it WHEN THEY LOG IN VIA BT.COM!

If I cannot get my emails from yahoo.com, how does that impact on getting my emails in the Yahoo app on Android?

The problem is that it is down to this community and the Sages to tell us about things and suggest answers from what they are able to glean.  We don't get official BT information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

It may be that the pop-up is set to appear on all BTYahoo accounts regardless of which route you are presently using on webmail to access your email so that it "catches" all BTYahoo account users.

On your Android device, the Yahoo app if I recall correctly uses the Yahoo server settings to access your account.

Because BT are stopping the use of the Yahoo logon page to access BTYahoo accounts and making it that you will only be able to access the accounts if you use the BT email logon page I suspect that you will find that when the "Yahoo access route" is stopped completely you will find that the Yahoo app on your device will no longer work and you will need to use another email app so that you can set it up using the BT servers and not the Yahoo ones.

The users who were migrated to BTMail prior to the migration being stopped in 2014 that were using the Yahoo email app had to use another email app because of the different servers.

I have asked the moderators to provide some clarity about the issue and I am waiting for their response which they will no doubt pass onto the forum users.

EDIT: Just for information, as far as I can remember when you were migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail any disposable email addresses you had were migrated at the same time however that facility has now been withdrawn from BTMail and any disposable email addresses were eventually deleted.

winner6060
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

My disposable emails are not working as of today (24/07/2019.)

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

My disposable addresses in BT Yahoo (original .co.uk and more recent .com) are working fine, in and out. 6 August 2019

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings