2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

BT/Yahoo Disposable email addresses

Chaps and chapesses

According to info at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/

BT/Yahoo disposable addresses will be available on the new BT platform:

bt.PNG

But presumably, because current disposable addresses are on the yahoo.co.uk domain, I will have to re-create all these addresses and then change them on all the sites where I use them. This will be a mammoth task for me, as I have more than 50 created.

If I knew this before I started creating disposable addresses, I would have waited for the new platform.

The info is online BUT Why o Why didn't BT let customers know that all these addresses will be lost, in advance, by email or at least draw our attention to the online info?

Scuse me while I have a quick puke - being angry always makes me feel sick. ^Thanks BT^

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT/Yahoo Disposable email addresses

They did. Emails were sent out last year, I think around about April/May. There is also a post on this forum about it.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Changes-to-BT-s-portal-and-email-services/td-p/876712

0 Ratings
2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Ah! that explains it - I moved over to BT last September.

The point is, if you are not aware of imminent changes, there is no reason to go looking for info on the subject.

They should have made sure that new customers were also aware of the situation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

I think that once the change was announced they should have taken away the ability to make new disposable addresses.

2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Absolutely

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 6 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:

I think that once the change was announced they should have taken away the ability to make new disposable addresses.

And then of course people would complain about not being able to create new disposable addresses, especially given the enormous length of time this transition is taking.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

OK I'm going to stick my neck out again on this one. Why create a DISPOSABLE address if you want to keep it? The clue is in the name, disposable, use once throw away, they were never intended to be kept. I can understand not wishing to use a main e-mail address for all sorts of website registrations etc. that may be used more than once that may eventually get spammed. Ok, use a secondary e-mail address or a hotmail or gmail address (or several) for those. If any get compromised they can be discarded as necessary and a new one created. Only use the disposable addresses for true one off occasions. None of the arguments put forward so far have convinced me otherwise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Licquorice, totally agree. That's how I thought disposable addresses were to be used, not as additional/extra email addresses.

Oliver341, I agree people would no doubt have complained about that however I think given the hassle that people who have used disposable addresses since the announcement are going to have to change them it may have been the lesser of two evils.

0 Ratings
2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Hi licquorice

I understand what you are saying. However, when I first read about these disposable addresses, they were not described as 'one-off' addresses. In fact, the description (which I can't find at the moment) left me with the impression that they were to be used exactly as I am using them, i.e. keep them running until spam was received. Then delete and create a new one. Which I thought was an excellent idea - now I appear to have a dilemma.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Yes disposable but I don't use them as one off. I use them as a public address on discussion forums etc. Unfortunatly after a while there is more spam than real messages so I change it.

Yes I could keep changing any other free email address gmail, hotmail etc but with disposable addresses they go to my main email address and with filters they automatically go into the correct folder, very useful.

0 Ratings