cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

BT Yahoo Email Blocking VPN?

I'm wondering if BT Yahoo blocks VPN IP's as all my accounts, both primary and secondary no longer work with VPN on, all is fine without VPN enabled?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Yahoo Email Blocking VPN?

We don't block VPN IPs from accessing email, worth checking you are using mail.btinternet.com for incomming and outgoing settings and not yahoo settings.

Simon.

Email expertSimon
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Email queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, primarily on BT email queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Yes mail.btinternet.com is the server used.

Like I say, when the vpn connection is turned off on various devices at various locations using various connections, different wifi's, data connection, it worked fine. As soon as VPN is enabled the server closes the connection as soon as it hits the server so something is happening server end. Maybe a security thing????

It still does not work so its not a solution?

0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 4 of 27

Any solution/idea how this block/security measure can be removed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 27

Is this with both mail client/apps and webmail access?

There have been issues with non UK access reported various times, which in effect might show itself with some VPN accesses.

Do you access other email accounts using VPN without any problem?

0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 6 of 27

Hi Andy,

Yes when using certain VPN IP addresses so I've narrowed it down to mail.btinternet.com blocking/restricting access based on IP address to pop3 and IMAP. The server simply drops the connection. Other email providers work. The problem is, as can be seen in this thread, they say they don't do this, which appears to be untrue.

okanel
Message 7 of 27

Experiencing exactly the same issue.  Incoming and Outgoing both set to mail.btinternet.com and nothing has changed except I'm using a VPN.

All other email clients working fine over it (gmail, tiscali, our own domain) but BT cannot receive through my email client.

0 Ratings
okanel
Message 8 of 27

I have the same experience.  All other email clients work over VPN (tiscali, gmail, my school email, our domain email) but mail.btinternet.com cannot receive email when VPN is on.

Weirdly, it can send though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

You should check with your VPN supplier. They may have put blocks on to prevent spam although I would have expected that to block outgoing more than incoming.

0 Ratings
freefirezone
Beginner
Message 10 of 27

I am having exactly the same problem. As soon as I switch the VPN on BTInternet mail disconnects. All my other non-BT mail accounts continue to work perfectly well. My work VPN on my laptop also works fine with no problems, but I can't use external emails from that, so I can't test that, only company ones.

As an experienced IT tester I have tried everything I can to problem solve this and it is simply the BTInternet mail (POP3 & SMTP) doesn't like the VPN.

0 Ratings