cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Yahoo Email Blocking VPN?

@freefirezonewrote:

I am having exactly the same problem. As soon as I switch the VPN on BTInternet mail disconnects. All my other non-BT mail accounts continue to work perfectly well. My work VPN on my laptop also works fine with no problems, but I can't use external emails from that, so I can't test that, only company ones.

As an experienced IT tester I have tried everything I can to problem solve this and it is simply the BTInternet mail (POP3 & SMTP) doesn't like the VPN.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

What effective country does the VPN exit? (Is there a location choice?)

0 Ratings
freefirezone
Beginner
Message 12 of 27

Yes. I used automatic to start with ,then tried UK, then just a few random ones including USA.

None worked.

0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 13 of 27

As explained BT are dropping the server connection obviously based on IP address and not on user credentials.

0 Ratings
gchez
Beginner
Message 14 of 27

Well, we are now a year from the first comment on and there seems to be no solution.  I installed Norton VPN last October and it immediately switches off all BT email connections.  Gmail and others work OK.  The same happens with my MacAir and Iphone.  BT is my main email provider and I must always shut off the VPN to get my emails - which rather deafeats the purpose!

Can't BT offer any solution - or explanation - in simple terms that idiots like me can use?

0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 15 of 27

I had the same problem with but ail not connecting unless I turned off my VPN client. I looked on their site and it suggest that I try using different locations. Nothing worked, then I thought I would try peer to peer, voila, straight through and downloaded my missing emails.

thought you might give this a try. Hope it helps resolve your problem. All the VPNs I used were UK based, including the peer to peer connection.

0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 16 of 27

BT Mail, not but ail.
0 Ratings
gchez
Beginner
Message 17 of 27

Thanks for your comments. Norton offers me Uk plus a number of other countries; how did you connect peer to peer as I can't see how that is done?

0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 18 of 27

I took out a three year deal with Nordvpn at an attractive price.  I can connect to lots of Uk locations as well as overseas, both standard connection and P2P.

As it happens, I have just logged onto a private network, connected through Nordvpn, then opened my email client, which told me it couldn't connect to the BT server. I checked the VPN setting, it was a standard setting. I changed it to P2P, opened the email client and down popped your reply.

Just a note, I do not work for Nordvpn, I drive a Lorry.

Hope this will give some insight. Perhaps you could contact Norton to see if they do a P2P setting. Good luck.

gchez
Beginner
Message 19 of 27

Thanks, I'll check with Norton.  In the meantime, I've tried different countries and it seems to work with Germany.  Appreciate your help.

0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 20 of 27

It's a shame no one at BT admits all this, with the rise in VPN use I suspect there are a lot of calls to BT with email problems Smiley Sad