cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT Yahoo Email Blocking VPN?

I doubt if you will find it is BT blocking the VPN from getting to the email, otherwise you couldnt get to them on P2P vpn connections. It is more likely due to how standard vpn's are configured. The same problem exists when trying to connect to a large lottery web site tgrough standard vpn protocol, however, if you use P2P vpn, you can access the site.
So again, it's not BT's fault.
0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 22 of 27

I doubt if it would be BT stopping your use of a VPN to get your mail, it is more likely to be the way VPN's work. Otherwise you couldn't use a VPN setup as a P2P connection, which allows you to get your mail.

Perhaps we should stop blaming companies because we are not able to sort a problem, which would appear to be due to our own shortcomings. If you want to use a software program you would really need to do some studying, to understand how it works, otherwise you could tend to make mistakes, blaming it on the software rather on ones ability to understand it.

One went to school to learn the basics of education. Now we have computers, we should learn to use them correctly, schooling.

smileatlife
Beginner
Message 23 of 27

I think using the P2P setting simply puts the traffic through a different server that is better setup for P2P and probably thus uses a different IP address. You can check this by using the P2P setting and checking your IP address, then without and see if its different.

I suspect the mail servers drop connections based on IP addresses as said before. If your theory was to be correct we would be unable to connect through any countries, but we can, some work, some don't.  POP3 (email) is somewhat simplistic in its protocol so I think the servers block/drop traffic from servers on blacklists somewhere.

I don't understand how this is our shortcomings, if it is filtered/blocked/dropped at the email server end, how can we fix it and sort the problem?

0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 24 of 27

I have had the problem on my ipad since I installed a von. I have tried changing my vpn gateway tens of times with no let up.
Since I change to P2P con's it always loads my mail. Likewise, I have tried on tens of P2P con's with no failure.
All the vpn's I have used were uk based. So regardless of your saying it is BT blocked, I cannot agree.
My mail always downloads using P2P, so it's the one I use from mailing.
0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 25 of 27

Also in reply to you stating that the up address is different when using a P2P vpn, than when not using a von. Of course it is that's the idea of a von. Similarly a P2P vpn up will be different to a straight vpn or no vpn. A P2P vpn is obviously configured differtly to a standard vpn. My experience suggests this different configuration is what let's the email connect to the client.
Although I am a lorry driver, I do also build computers and setup networks. So I have done my studies, as well as being a MS insider/tester.
So I go back to my earlier suggestions.
0 Ratings
smileatlife
Beginner
Message 26 of 27

Could this not be because the IP addresses of the P2P VPN servers have not been blacklisted by BT like the other VPN servers because they are mostly used for torrenting not email ?

You sound like you know what you are talking about and I'm no expert so could you kindly explain why you think a VPN configuration might effect connection to a POP3 server ?

0 Ratings
Skedge5706
Beginner
Message 27 of 27

Put simply, because pop3 is a less secure type of mail, together with the fact that a standard VPN protocol can log your traffic as well as the content, is the reason that it will not go through. Whereas, a P2P VPN does not monitor your traffic, nor can it access the information which is downloaded. Therefore it is secure and your mail is accessible to you only. Perhaps because of this insecurity through a Standard VPN, the BT infrastructure is protecting your privacy.
Would suggest, in part that I was wrong on one part, but right on the need for P2P VPN. Hope this clears the air a bit.
0 Ratings