cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris101
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Yahoo Email Move Off Yahoo Servers and Resulting Problems & Implications of Stricter Security

Just off phone with BT Helpdesk and wonder if anyone else has heard same as I just did......

So reason for calling Helpdesk was chasing up on ongoing issues since end of January with email accounts in family 'being protected' and as Primary Account holder not being able to reset passwords.

Initially, and having read other posts on BT Community, I thought we were in pilot to finally move off the old BT Yahoo mail servers onto something more robust and secure and stable. Now it has happened again this week I began to think it was more than  a mismatch in security questions from My BT and the old  BT Yahoo perhaps.

Spoke to helpful Customer Helpdesk person who confirmed what I had read in other recent Community Posts but one other surprising thing... I list the points below, as I was told today

1. Due to ongoing security issues with BT Yahoo servers, pilot migration in January from the old servers onto BT ones has now been followed by everyone else left on the old BT Yahoo based service. However the post migration period has a number of problems that has meant Helpdesk and email teams very busy. 

2. I was told the old security questions from BT Yahoo are disabled and security questions will need to be reset and that is why I cannot reset passwords as My BT doesn't recognise the old BT Yahoo ones. Current backlog of users means Helpdesk teams automatically raising a complaint when you call in to report a fault, as expected the timeline to fix is at least 7 days. Attention is being paid to applying compensation to affected customers.

3. People have been diverted from normal Helpdesk duties to be trained up to help reduced delays in contacting customers to update security questions and unlock emails.

4. Now the surprise.

I was told that the mail clients like Apple will no longer fully work with a BT mail address in the very near future and that  further information will be released to customers. Note this is not the usual issue sometimes when Apple updates IOS and for a day or so BT email accounts sometimes don't work properly but after they get updated to work with latest Apple IOS all is well. It will be by design that BT mail won't fully work with mail clients.  Not 'fully working' means you might be able to read email but you will need to log in direct to BT Mail to be able to reply was the answer I got.

I had always wanted to be moved off the old Yahoo based service due to security incidents over the years and I prefer stricter security. However sharing to see if Moderators or other customers who have already been contacted to updated email security questions etc can shed more light on this last point or indeed any of what I was told. I am hoping this is a misunderstanding on the lack of full mail client functionality.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Yahoo Email Move Off Yahoo Servers and Resulting Problems & Implications of Stricter Secu

I would suggest that the Customer Service agent you spoke to has informed you incorrectly.

BT Mail will work with email clients including on Apple devices. It will not work with the Yahoo server settings or the Yahoo app so if you have a device that sets up the email account for you,such as Apple devices, you will need to set it up manually using the "other" option and ensure you use the correct BT settings.

0 Ratings
Chris101
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: BT Yahoo Email Move Off Yahoo Servers and Resulting Problems & Implications of Stricter Secu

Your understanding is same as mine and that's how my BT email is set up on my Apple mail client currently and is still working fine for me at least.

When I double checked on call  with  the Helpdesk agent on what they had shared ref impact in near future on mail clients,  they were pretty certain on the end outcome as I relayed, once all the backlog of security issues and questions had been sorted.

Can only say that the Helpdesk agent (who was helpful / seemed to have an understanding of the current issues and steps being undertaken by BT to rectify / was sincere & apologetic for what I was experiencing) was pretty convincing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I think you will find that there is no way BT will stop their email from working with email clients or email apps. 

The vast majority of BT's customers no doubt use mobile devices and access their email using an email client or app. 

I would imagine even the BT CEO and the email team access their email that way.

Who knows BT might even add an email app to their list of apps.

Chris101
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I agree, that's why it was a surprise to be told this.

Unfortunately I will have to wait up to 7 days to hear from email support team to receive the help to sort issues out on access to emails, as teams completely over whelmed by email faults at the moment that originate from. the migration from legacy BT Yahoo servers.

I will update once I have email issues resolved, including what the instructions on mail client ( incoming and outgoing) actually are!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Seems a bit strange that BT would be doing  the following if they were not going to allow access via an email client.

There have been emails sent out to users on the BTYahoo system who have been migrated to the BTMail system that they have to stop using the Yahoo server settings and if they want to continue using an email client/app they will need to change their server settings to the BT ones as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

See this thread re the email being sent out

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-improved-BT-email-service-spam/td-p/2003394

There is also this page on the BT help pages.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/updating-your-bt-email-settings

The Yahoo server settings, which did work for BTYahoo email accounts have never been the correct server settings and users were always advised to use the correct BT ones. 

The adviser you spoke to has undoubtedly got it wrong.

What is in no doubt is because BT have not announced that the BTYahoo to BTMail migration has restarted it would be fair to assume that those who have been recently migrated are subject to a trial prior to any future mass migration of BTYahoo customers and are Beta testing the migration process for BT and that some of the problems now being experienced by customers are as a direct result of this. 

neilstrong
Message 7 of 12

Thanks Chris101 - I suspect the process may be different for 'Premium Mail' customers as the first Mail support chat guy wouldn't even speak to me when he discovered I wasn't a BT Broadband customer. He passed me to the 'special' team .... I think we're paying £7.50 a month to be hosted on an old PC Under someone's desk. 🙂
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

The only difference between BTYahoo/BTMail depending on which you are on and BT Premium email is that you are paying £7.50 and those with BT Broadband are not.

neilstrong
Message 9 of 12

The advisor and her supervisor argued with me for half an hour that 'mail clients' were not supported. I agree with you, but apparently once you speak to the call centre 'supervisor', that's the end of the line. She doesn't have a manager apparently...... 😉

I've not received any communication from BT regarding server migration. Again, I suspect it's because of my second class paid mail service status.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@neilstrong wrote:

The advisor and her supervisor argued with me for half an hour that 'mail clients' were not supported. I agree with you, but apparently once you speak to the call centre 'supervisor', that's the end of the line. She doesn't have a manager apparently...... 😉

I've not received any communication from BT regarding server migration. Again, I suspect it's because of my second class paid mail service status.

BT do not support email clients or email apps. That does not mean you can not use them. BT even supply the servers and their settings so that you can use them.

What it does mean is that if you have a problem with your email client/app BT can not offer you any help or assistance with the email client/app.

That is no doubt because there are that many clients and apps available none of which BT have control over and  therefore can not know how they work so can not offer any help for them.  It would be like asking Microsoft to fix a Linux problem.

As far as BT are concerned if your web mail is working. which they can control, then your email is working.

0 Ratings