cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 12

Re: BT Yahoo Email Move Off Yahoo Servers and Resulting Problems & Implications of Stricter Secu

@neilstrong wrote:

The advisor and her supervisor argued with me for half an hour that 'mail clients' were not supported. I agree with you, but apparently once you speak to the call centre 'supervisor', that's the end of the line. She doesn't have a manager apparently...... 😉

I've not received any communication from BT regarding server migration. Again, I suspect it's because of my second class paid mail service status.

Mail clients are not supported, that just means that the helpdesk can't give any help regarding the use of clients not that they can't be used.

Chris101
Contributor
Message 12 of 12

Re: BT Yahoo Email Move Off Yahoo Servers and Resulting Problems & Implications of Stricter Secu

Ref the mail client, I am pretty sure you are correct but will check when I am contacted by the BT team mobilised to help clear the backlog of issues on email, account administration and so forth.

Ref settings, these had been updated before the end of last year. However I don't believe settings as such are the issue in this instance.

I would hazard a guess that one of the issues for the  BT project team involved in the migration of old legacy BT Yahoo mail (whether in larger numbers or cut overs in small batches to test readiness)  is  that the legacy management tools for the old BT Yahoo mail service are no longer available to the Helpdesk for some or all customers who have been migrated (or the legacy kit involved suffered a failure)  but the existing BT mail  tool / process to allow password resets still has issue trying to accommodate the old legacy customers now being migrated with or without their old passwords / security questions that may or may not meet BT Mail standards.

So for example, if BT Mail does not recognise the security questions set up in the legacy BT Yahoo mail  and you get an event which triggers the email account to be 'protected'  or a customer  forgets their password or a customer decides to update the password, then neither the primary account holder or the Helpdesk can reset the password or currently, even issue a temporary password. 

This might explain why the Helpdesk could not help with my situation today, when there is a need to reset a password for an email account, whereas they could as recently as 24th January when another sub account in the family got 'protected' but we could reset, even though the email account had been migrated.

If you don't have one of these events at the moment then you won't realise there is an issue if you have been recently migrated. 

As I mentioned earlier, if anyone has already been contacted by BT in the past week and taken through a process to update security questions etc to get password resets working after being migrated from the legacy BT Yahoo mail then it would be great to hear about your experience. Otherwise I'll post my own after it happens, which hopefully will be soon!

0 Ratings