cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unwina
Expert
Message 11 of 60

Re: BT Yahoo Mail - 'Yesterday' is a day out ...

I have had that for quite a while I've tried the same as yourself and its faulty. I definitely am not resetting my browser on this. I have as you say tried all the things you have apart from a day1 reset of chrome. some other browsers do not seem to be affect but Firefox does for me although to be fair its not a recent FF.

The most recent version of Chrome (Version 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)) for windows Is not loading the wrong dates in the first pass it's just that it gets so far with them correct (Yesterday is in right position) and then all of a sudden it reloads itself and then has the dates in the wrong place. (yesterday is effectively moved to the day before yesterday and so on). The actual emails are correctly dated.

I'm pretty certain that this is an issue just with the yahoo web version as the server versions will not be using the same methods to get the period values if they display them at all. The web loading seems to get it correct in the first instance it loads then all of a sudden it reloads again and puts all today'y and yesterday's emails into the today box. The yesterday assigned section then contains emails from the day before yesterday.

e.g

today = 8th and 7th dated emails

yesterday= 6th dated emails

I have also noticed that it seems to miss out a year when it gets to year changes so emails in 2019 will be catalogued as in 2018 and so on. I don't think this is a browser issue but a coding one. as I say the emails themselves do all have the correct dates as far as I can tell though.

Update: I have this issue on a windows 10 laptop and also on my Win7 PC (yes I know before anyone berates me) but that should not technically be relevant.

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 12 of 60

@Sue036,

I do agree with you on email clients although others may argue in favour (i'll keep my head down ;-)).

You might want to consider an email backup tool though, I use MailStore Home as I've found it works quite well and if email is ever off the air I can just go to it and see them after forcing a latest backup (by default it backs up every 7 days) just a thought. (It is server based so needs correct settings similar to a client)

I've sent a message to one of the admin team (I'll probably get my fingers wrapped) to see if they can push this forward to yahoo perhaps - BT doesn't really control much of this and its mostly Yahoo that deal with this area if they feel inclined. 

0 Ratings
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 60

Hi Unwina,

Although I'm sorry that you have this problem I am also very relieved to know that it is not just me! It sounds as though we have exactly the same issue. I only have one Windows device ... but that's my only device with this problem.

I do have other email accounts (not BT ones) and I have all my emails, including the BT ones, downloaded onto my iPhone and iPad so that's my back-up. 

Thanks for raising with the admin team - maybe that will help? Fingers crossed!

Sue

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 14 of 60

I'm guessing as i am not sure but assuming its the same as an android phone then they usually use server based products and you are not actually using the web version, I assume this though.

That said you may be doing what I sometimes do with my wife samsung tablet and that is one can still login to web based tools using chrome or another web browser on the phone/tablets although this tends to be a little bit painful text size wise.

I tend to see these tools though as just toys and am far more comfortable using a proper tool like a desktop PC or a laptop. But each to their own I guess.

If I helped at all in this then its always a bonus. I used to work for BT a long time ago in a different area so I only know some of the BT people on here from having issues and trying to help with as much information as they need they are very thorough when they get involved but its not a cast iron guarantee they will be able to help everytime.

If I am correct and you had to enter server details that you did not for web based versions then if they are like our android phones I'm not wholly convinced they are backup as such you just pull from the server when you need it. In my case I am definitely backing up on my PC using the mailstore tools but its not infallible having the data locally either. 

Someone else is bound to come in soon and correct my analysis but one thing you will hopefully be aware of is in my case its down to me to ensure my backups are kept safe. The emails are still on the server at yahoo if they don't mistakenly remove them and get rid of the backups too. They may even be mirrored at BT but I don't think that is the case.

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 15 of 60

I just tried vivaldi which is based on Chrome I think. It was quite a few months since I last used it so i usually update before I use it each time mostly for testing if faults in chrome are my end or theirs.

Anyway I tried webmail before upgrading and it worked okay then I upgraded to the latest level - same as chrome level I think and it went back to presenting yesterday's as the day before yesterday so for me this is clearly pointing at a chrome/yahoo code issue.

Vivaldi uses Chrome/80.0.3987.136

Win7PC chrome browser uses 80.0.3987.132

Win10Laptop chrome uses 80.0.3987.116

which suggests my PC chrome build is lower than vivaldi but higher than my win10 test bench laptop. I have since upgrade the Win10 machine to current build and its still problematic as well.(Its now at same build as my main Win7PC and is the latest on these machines)

I'm guessing this error is in the 80.0.3987 build as a whole the subversion is irrelevant at levels shown. I wish I had checked the vivaldi before I updated it. You win some you lose some.

Update: Just checked opera again and it definitely does the same thing too. I made sure it was latest version (Version:67.0.3575.53 ) not sure its not using chrome as base though as it seems one can loan chrome extensions with a bit of effort. I don't have any extensions loaded.

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 16 of 60

I have had a response from BT and I understand a moderator will be progressing this further lets hope yahoo are as receptive to BT as BT was to me. The BT teams are very busy though so it may not be in the next few days.

If anyone has any further details not already reported if they could add their experience it will help BT enormously.

0 Ratings
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 60

That's good news! Thanks for all your efforts.

Btw I checked my W10 Chrome browser version and it's the same as your's.

I am pretty sure that my iPhone mail app downloads the emails to the phone, as I can access them even when the mail server is offline or cannot be contacted by my phone. I do also use Chrome on my phone or tablet to access the web version sometimes when, like right now,  I can't access my BT Yahoo email from my phone app for reasons unknown / often discussed elsewhere on this forum!

0 Ratings
Hugh758
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 60

I reported this problem yesterday via live chat.  They appeared unaware of it!  After confirming my computer time and date were correct they advised me to update the BIOS.  I challenged this and explained it happens when I log on from another laptop. 

I was then told to try making different changes to the settings and it became clear that I was looking at a different interface as he could see things I couldn't.  I said I was on BT Yahoo and he told me that all emails were moved from BT Yahoo server to BT Mail "a few months back".  He then advised it was being escalated to a manager and to Email Security who would move my files.  Someone did something because they changed my password but I am still seeing the BT Yahoo interface and the grouping for the days since "Last week" is still a day out.

Thanks to this thread I now know that it is ok when I access through Edge but I am a Chrome user so need to get it resolved without losing all my bookmarks or email folders.  

I really struggle with the Support Guys, especially when they keep asking if there is anything else they can do to help when they haven't fixed my problem.

I have checked my Chrome version and confirmed it is up to date, Version 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit). I am using Windows 10.

I have reported it as an issue to Chrome too since it works in Edge. Will update if I get anywhere!

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 19 of 60

@Hugh758 ,

I agree, i'm pretty certain that the BT people you were talking to are not the same as the ones who deal deal on this community. Usually they are first/second line triage.

On the Edge front is it the latest Chrome based edge or the earlier edge. I don't use windows 10 actively as I stated above so have not checked. I have read that Edge built on chrome is not recommended for chrome extensions but then the chrome people would say that wouldn't they. (Edge version can be found at the bottom of the general settings for the product mine says 44.18362.449.0 but if it were using chrome code i'd expect it to say what version of core code too)

I agree with you it's a Yahoo/Chrome issue, and in my view probably not Chromes issue and the likelihood of Chrome fixing it IMHO is Nil. 

One thing we all have to be painfully aware of is that BT does not own yahoo they just use it as a platform provider. What usually happens is yahoo, all the big boys to be honest, will fix this usually when someone in their teams spots it as a fault. That said we are BT's customers and if I were paying £7 quid as some people do for the email having moved on then I would be questioning things a lot more. 

If you are still not happy then the only way to escalate this in BT is to email the top person and they will push it on to the executive team. This in my opinion is already there as I said above I believe the people who have agreed to help on here are in the next office to the executive team - I could be wrong but their accents are very similar when I have spoken to each of them.

Lets keep our fingers crossed, they are very busy I understand, I'll poke my contact again if I hear nothing by tomorrow. 

Hugh758
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 60

@unwina 

My version of Edge is Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0, same as yours.
I have found incompatibility issues with some websites when using Edge (can't remember exactly which but things like internet banking!) and am pretty wedded to Chrome really, so I am reluctant to change my default browser which I anticipate is what BT will say (although they claim Chrome is supported).
Will be interested to see any update you get and will post anything I get (call back scheduled for sometime this evening but not holding my breath!)

0 Ratings