cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

BT Yahoo! Places E-Mails in Spam Folder Despite SPamGuard Being Off!!!

The subject says it all: BT Yahoo! Places E-Mails in the Spam Folder Despite the SpamGuard Being Off!!!

Also, since once cannot configure deletion of messages from the Spam folder to occur less frequently than once a month, one has no choice but to log onto the server at least this often in order to see whether BT Yahoo! has unilaterally misdirected an e-mail. This is unacceptable - in fact it suggests to me that by partnering with Yahoo!, BT have chosen a rubbish e-mail provider.

I'm using the Classic e-mail view, which gives the distinct impression that SpamGuard can be turned off. The "new" but far worse option doesn't even pretend that the SpamGuard can be turned off.

The fact that the SpamGuard is stuck on whether a user wants it or not is wholly unacceptable.

The fact that this change has been snuck in without any corresponding change to the Classic e-mail view to at least hint at what has been done is beneath contempt.

Important e-mails may well have been lost because of this. I use an e-mail client and see no reason routinely to log in to the server using the BT Yahoo! browser interface. I just did so in order to create a new sub-account and was shocker so see several e-mails stuck in my Spam folder. How many have been deleted within a month of arrival. This is infuriating and indicative of a complete absence of customer focus. Is there any workaround or do we just have to put up wih it? I suppose BT reasons that by having to log in to their server every month thay can at least display a few ads to us!

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Yahoo! Places E-Mails in Spam Folder Despite SPamGuard Being Off!!!

I agree with your sentiments.

The work around is to set your email client to download spam as well as "ordinary" emails.

This should be the default as spam filters are not 100% reliable.

Words
Contributor
Message 3 of 25

I suppose it's fair enough to put Spamguard on by default, but if a user turns it off then it should stay off. And why on earth have they completely removed the option to switch it off? There was no notification that I can recall about this change of policy.
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 25

Semantics.

Configure your email so that it downloads the contents of the spam folder. The end result is the same turning Spamguard off.
Words
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Not really semantics on the lack of communication about this. They changed the function without telling existing users. That's poor, very poor. Many users never visit the webmail so wouldn't know that some mails may be ending up in a spamtrap they thought had been deactivated (happened to one of our sub-accounts today). Fair enough you can now download the spam box as well as the inbox (so I take your point, semantically, it's amount to the same thing, if you know about it).
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 25

vofsanity2 wrote:

The work around is to set your email client to download spam as well as "ordinary" emails.

I'm still on Classic Mail with SpamGuard off, and the only messages I've found in Spam are a couple now and then that have somehow ended up there instead of in Trash after deletion in Thunderbird. I don't go to webmail very often though, so I thought this work round might be useful just in case. No joy.

Anyone know if Thunderbird can do this?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 25

It's a configuration option in the webmail options - not your client.
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 25

Many thanks to all who have sympathised with me and particularly to the people who very helpfully suggested how I can get around what amounts to a bug in BT Yahoo!.

To elaborate, in order to implement the necessary change - at least using the Classic view in web mail - one needs to:

• click on Options
  • in the resulting drop down click on Mail Options
  • on the resulting page, click on POP & Forwarding
  • Here, 'Allow your BT Yahoo! Mail to be POPed' will almost certainly be selected already, so using the drop-down, change the value selected for 'When POPing my messages' to be either 'download Spam messages and add [Bulk] to the subject line', or simply 'download SPAM messages'. In any event, I at least don't want 'Don't POP Spam'.
  • Save the changes

I have opted to have [Bulk] added so that I can see when useless BT Yahoo! classifies an e-mail as spam. I should have mentioned in my original post that none of the e-mails I found in the Spam folder were actually Spam, so the much-vaunted Spam filter is worse than useless. I resent having to do this for all five of my own e-mail accounts and the couple that I administer for aged parents. I have better things to do with a Sunday morning 😞

I intend writing to Ian Livingstone about this as this appallingly bad feature risks damaging BT's corporate reputation.

Finally, apologies for the typos in my original post, and indeed for any that have crept in here. I'm normally careful but was, and still am so annoyed that I can barely type!

Thanks again.

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 25

@IanC wrote:
Semantics.

Configure your email so that it downloads the contents of the spam folder. The end result is the same turning Spamguard off.

It is not the same as turning Spamguard off !

Valid emails are still put in the Spam folder and then get deleted. The result of this is that a backup copy of the email is not kept on the server.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

@IanC wrote:
It's a configuration option in the webmail options - not your client.

Thanks, I was going on what the earlier poster said. Changed it in webmail and Thunderbird delivered a few messages that BT Yahoo! had put in Spam instead of Trash. As I said, that happens regularly but it's only a handful of messages, which can easily be identified when they return with the "bulk" prefix option.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.