cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 25

Re: BT Yahoo! Places E-Mails in Spam Folder Despite SPamGuard Being Off!!!

Hmm. A very good point. I suppose one will avoid losing e-mails incorrectly classified as spam provided one downloads using POP reasonably frequently, however having been alerted to just how useles BT Yahoo! is I am now wondering what exactly is meant when one opts to 'Empty Spam Folder', let us say, 'once a month'. Does this guarantee that messages in the Spam folder will remain there for one month, or that the whole of the Spam folder is emptied once a month on a scheduled basis? If it's the latter, then there is no guarantee that one will not lose e-mails placed in the Spam folder, because one might not have downloaded them via POP before useless BT Yahoo! works its dubious magic.

I'm beginning to think that a complaint to Ofcom might be in order. E-Mail services constitute critical national infrastructure, and while the technology may not provide a 100% guarantee of delivery, service [sic] providers should not through incompetent design and development be undermining the capabilities that the technology does provide.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 25

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@IanC wrote:
Semantics.

Configure your email so that it downloads the contents of the spam folder. The end result is the same turning Spamguard off.

It is not the same as turning Spamguard off !

In the context of this discussion, it has the same effect.

Valid emails are still put in the Spam folder and then get deleted. The result of this is that a backup copy of the email is not kept on the server.

The OP is using an email client. That's where the "backup" copy will end up.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 25

Sadly I fear that vofsanity's view is right and that while opting to have POP download e-mail that has been classified as spam there remains a risk of messages being lost. The reasons are outlined in my last post, which was made more or less concurrently with Ian C's.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 25

Coincidentally I was tidying up a couple of unused sub-accounts just yesterday, and found in there a couple of messages that had been in Spam since January. Just wondering, are we sure that Spam is emptied regularly (I know Trash is)?

EDIT: If SpamGuard is switched off, that is.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 25

Interesting . . . I don't think we can be sure of anything that happens in the bowels of BT Yahoo!, and even if we could be now, it could all change very quickly.

Yesterday, 2nd March 2013, I took a screenshot of my Spam folder with the incorrectly classified e-mail in it before moving it to my Inbox. The oldest e-mail was dated 8th February 2013, and despite having supposedly turned off the SpamGuard, the frequency with which the Spam folder was and indeed still is set to be emptied once a month. This suggests that there is a reasonable chance that e-mail does live in the Spam folder for a full month, but who knows?

I suppose the only way to test this is to set up an account that does not download Spam and then move one e-mail from the Inbox into the Spam folder and monitor it periodically. This does however smack of paying a dog - BT Yahoo! - and having to bark oneself!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 16 of 25

Hello,

Can you send in your details (including email address affected and the headers of the email in question)? You can find our contact link by clicking on my username, it's under "About me" in my profile page.

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 25

Hi Stephanie,

Apologies for the delayed response but I have now just e-mailed you directly.

Thanks.

Phil

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 25

Re: BT Yahoo! Places E-Mails in Spam Folder Despite SpamGuard Being Off!!!

The Forum Moderator team kindly raised an Incident with BT Yahoo! Mail on my behalf. I received a response last week which said:

“At this time, for the protection of our customers, there is no way to turn SpamGuard off. It may appear to be turned off, but it's not . . .".

I regard this as unsatisfactory, but because the problem that I discovered could damage BT's corporate reputation I had already written to the Office of the Chief Executive of BT. I have yet to receive a response.

As explained in earlier posts, in my view, the fact that BT Yahoo! have secretly removed users’ ability to switch off the SpamGuard, while maintaining the appearance that this can in fact be done, represents very poor customer service, and is indicative of very poor quality engineering indeed. I do however wonder whether there has been some overriding imperative that has led BT Yahoo! to behave as they have. I can only speculate, but it could be that the service has come under some kind of sustained attack, or that the SpamGuard has some role in addition to that of simply attempting to identify Spam e-mail, and which BT Yahoo! Mail believe must be applied to all users' accounts even if to do so risks undermining service.

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 25

@FrustratedCustomer68 wrote:

The Forum Moderator team kindly raised an Incident with BT Yahoo! Mail on my behalf. I received a response last week which said:

“At this time, for the protection of our customers, there is no way to turn SpamGuard off. It may appear to be turned off, but it's not . . .".

I regard this as unsatisfactory, but because the problem that I discovered could damage BT's corporate reputation I had already written to the Office of the Chief Executive of BT. I have yet to receive a response.

As explained in earlier posts, in my view, the fact that BT Yahoo! have secretly removed users’ ability to switch off the SpamGuard, while maintaining the appearance that this can in fact be done, represents very poor customer service, and is indicative of very poor quality engineering indeed. I do however wonder whether there has been some overriding imperative that has led BT Yahoo! to behave as they have. I can only speculate, but it could be that the service has come under some kind of sustained attack, or that the SpamGuard has some role in addition to that of simply attempting to identify Spam e-mail, and which BT Yahoo! Mail believe must be applied to all users' accounts even if to do so risks undermining service.

I would be grateful if you could post the full reply you received from BT Yahoo  (minus any personal details) or PM me  so that I can pursue this further.  Due to the number of false positives that spamguard throws up this has serious consequences as far as I am concerned.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 25

Thanks for taking an interest in this. I've just sent you a PM.

0 Ratings